Talk

Advanced search

CRB check

(18 Posts)
chickennuggets Sun 02-Oct-11 20:47:21

I recently volunteered to help out in DD's reception class. School said that's fine but I'd need to complete a CRB check first. At the time I did not think twice about it but now that I'm filling in the form I've remembered that when I was 11 I got caught shoplifting blush I got in with the wrong crowd at a new school and clearly not my finest hour and but it's my only brush with the law. Do I need to declare this on the CRB form?

It's something that I did a long time ago and really do not want to reveal this to the school as it conflicts with my persona today (I am trained as GP and am an upstanding member of the community). School is quite posh and I just know it would reflect so badly on me and I don't want DD to be prejudiced either by this information. Will the CRB check pick up on this type of incident that occurred 30yrs ago?

purplepidjinawoollytangle Sun 02-Oct-11 20:55:05

I have no idea, but am a bit shock that a GP (I'm assuming that means General Practitioner, therefore medical dr?) doesn't already have enhanced disclosure!

I though juvey stuff dropped off at 18?

southeastastra Sun 02-Oct-11 20:56:27

no don't declare it grin

btw does anyone know how much a replacement form is? <sorry for hijack!>

purplepidjinawoollytangle Sun 02-Oct-11 20:59:44

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/crb/crb-press-releases/crb-check-charges

Enhanced £44, Standard £26; I'm now fuming - the only time I paid for my own was an agency who never bothered getting me any work - they charged me £45 about 4 years ago! Cheeky bastards

dikkertjedap Sun 02-Oct-11 21:24:36

I would contact a CAB before deciding not to declare it.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 02-Oct-11 21:28:35

Dh (copper) isn't sure.
For standard it would "disappear" at 18. But it remains on the PNC forever, so could possibly appear on enhanced.
Can you call the CRB and ask them before you decide what to do?

Jaquelinehyde Sun 02-Oct-11 21:37:43

Does it really matter it's shoplifting at 11, not dealing drugs at 20 or running a knocking shop from your surgery is it?

Shake yourself down, ring the CRB people to check if you really have to but seriously anyone who cares about this would never be the kind of person I was bothered about impressing.

admission Sun 02-Oct-11 22:14:40

My view would be to declare it. If you do not declare it and then it comes up, then immediately it casts doubt on whether anything else is being hidden.

MrsJamesMartin Sun 02-Oct-11 22:16:59

If you don't declare it, it may still go on anyway.

How can you be a GP and never had enhanced disclosure done before?

LittleMissWoodscommaElle Sun 02-Oct-11 22:31:06

Yes it will show up. A juvenile conviction showed up on a CRB check I did on someone who was going to work in my drama classes. It didn;t stop her working for me or indeed in training as and getting a job as a secondary school teacher.

The CRB fee does not include the admin fee charged by an umbrella body (basically the CRB charge the registered body for the privelege of being able to process checks and the reistered body charge for administrating them.

I was rather aghast that she didn't declare it in advance and I would have been within my rights to sack her for not doing so.

IndigoBell Sun 02-Oct-11 22:50:16

I dont know if it would show up or not, but I do know that the HT is the only person who would see it and they would not be allowed to disclose this information in any circumstances. Ever.

And it wouldn't stop you volunteering in the school. The HT would make a judgement call that you're no threat.

whenIgetto3 Mon 03-Oct-11 11:10:32

Do you need a CRB check to help out in school? I was just wondering as I started helping out at DDs school, once a week for the whole morning, this term and thought I would need to get one done but they haven't said a word about it. I thought about asking but didn't want to rock the boat. Sorry to hijack thread but wondered if anyone knew the legal answer

LittleMissWoodscommaElle Mon 03-Oct-11 11:22:33

Its a grey area.

It is best practice to have a CRB check if you are helping on a regular basis and you should certainly have one if you are likely to be in a situation where you are left unsupervised with a child or children or if you have access to any kinds of children's records.

For a one off or until a check arrives it is OK as long as you are always supervised.

chickennuggets Mon 03-Oct-11 11:52:50

Thanks all for replies and reassurances. I am probably fretting unecessarily I know. Good idea to call CRB. Depending on what they say I'll go and speak to HT, definitely don't want to make things worse if they come accross it later.

MrsJM - I did wonder the same thing. I can only conlude that it has appeared on my file and boss never raised with with for whatever reason, or that it's off my record as Police did say that it would be wiped clean providing repeat offences

At our school anyone wanting to help in classrm must be checked even though we're not left alone with kids, seems fair

CocktailQueen Thu 06-Oct-11 00:03:13

All parent helpers in our school have to have CRb checks even tho we are not left alone with children.

Tidybush Thu 06-Oct-11 00:19:07

I'm reading your 11:52 post as saying that you do have a CRB for your GP role. If one had been processed for you then you would have had a copy too.

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Thu 06-Oct-11 12:35:10

Were you actually charged or given an official caution OP?

Because if you were just told off and told to watch your step then I don't think that would be on your record. I would expect it would be a standard CRB rather than enhanced anyway. And they can choose not to pass on details of minor offences that they feel are irrelevant AFAIK, a minor shoplifting from 20+ years ago would almost certainly be classed as such.

I had enhanced CRB that came back clear even though I was told off as a teenager by police for something naughty (poor judgement rather than any intentional crime) - not charged/cautioned though, and I was a bit worried if it would show up!

prh47bridge Thu 06-Oct-11 14:21:07

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain - Helping in Reception should be an enhanced check and official cautions should show up. The OP's brush with the law may not show up but it is best to be safe and declare it. The school should not exclude the OP on the basis of this information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now