Talk

Advanced search

Foundation stage profile scores

(6 Posts)
Helenagrace Sun 02-Oct-11 08:51:29

I've found a website outlining what these scores are for but I can't find any stats on what is an "average" or "good" score. Are "9s" really hard to achieve?

Can anyone enlighten me?

dikkertjedap Sun 02-Oct-11 09:37:03

Average is 6. Children who already come in at 6/7/8 at the start of reception are very likely to end up on 9. However, this does not necessarily mean that they will have a 9 in every single area. At what level children come in depends of course on the school and the general area where the school is.

mrz Sun 02-Oct-11 10:33:23

6 is NOT an "average" score! although people keep saying it is and if you say something often enough it becomes "fact"!
6.8 is the median score and is considered a good score.
You also need to realise that the eyfs assessment is linear not hierarchical (until point 9) NC assessment is hierarchical which is why there isn't a real correlation between the two systems.
A score of 9 indicates a child consistently working beyond the EYFS early learning goals (achieving some aspects of NC levels although not a secure level)

AyesToTheRight Sun 02-Oct-11 10:40:43

Two children both scoring 6 on one part of the EYFS could be achieving very differently. To get 6 you need to have acheived 1,2 and 3 and then 3 more out of points 4 to 8. To get level 9 you need to have demonstrated everything.

Not sure what point a child would be assessed at if they acheived say 1,2,3 and then 5,6 and 9 though.

The other thing is that even though a child may be consistently demonstrating certain things at home, they need to be doing them independently at school for a teacher to be able to observe them.

mrz Sun 02-Oct-11 10:43:29

Ayes they would get a score of 5 as 9 can only be awarded if ALL of the other scale points have been achieved too.

AyesToTheRight Sun 02-Oct-11 10:47:14

Thank you - I presumed it was like that although could imagine a parent saying "but they do point 9 all the time so why are they a level 9 when other child can only do point 7" type of thing.

DD did get 9s for everything which I think was possibly slightly over generous although she is a September birthday and fits in with school very well (and is quite bright I suppose smile).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now