Talk

Advanced search

Parent never go into school

(43 Posts)
Onemustwork Sun 02-Oct-11 08:08:41

My year 2 dc goes to and from school on the bus every day.

Therefore I very rarely go into school - since the start of term I've been in twice. Once as bus was cancelled, and second due to doctor's appointment.

This is a school bus provided by the school, they know my dc is on this bus.

Now I've been made aware by other parents that notices for parents are being put on the classroom door, about things required, meetings etc.

I contacted the school secretary and said I understand information is being put on the classroom door for parents, would it be possible for you to send me an email or slip a note in the bookbag, rather than other parents having to pass the information on to me.

I got a curt response back saying that maybe I should reconsider my priorities, and cut back on my working so that I could be present for my dc's education. Sent to me by a full time working mum (08:00-17:30) who happens to work where her dc go to school so can access all this information.

Am I really alone in being the only parent who has to work/travel between the hours of 08:30-15:30 (I work 30 hours a week, so it's not like I'm working all hours under the sun just the school hours)?

TeamMummRa Sun 02-Oct-11 08:11:53

Our school runs a text messaging service, where reminders and information get sent out to parents.
Maybe suggest that to the school?

Blackduck Sun 02-Oct-11 08:12:26

Contact the head. This is not on. We have parent mail so everything is emailed out to us as well as being shoved in bags. It is totally not on to penalise you, and your child like this. I would be furious

Feenie Sun 02-Oct-11 08:12:40

What!!!!!

I am a teacher - my ds is in Year 1, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the times when we've been able to pick him up ourselves. I would be beyond furious if the school secretary spoke to me like this. Complain!

DownbytheRiverside Sun 02-Oct-11 08:15:09

The majority of our parents work, we use parent email and letters on doors and letters in bookbags.
That response is unacceptable, was it from the head? Was it written down in those words? If so, you have ammunition.
If not, I'd go through the head first and then the governors.
They need to sort out efficient communication for all parents, judging you and refusing to inform you is illegal.

MrsWembley Sun 02-Oct-11 08:15:30

shock at this response! I was a secondary teacher and DCs aren't yet at school so I've very little experience of primaries, but if I ever hear anything like this from anyone when they do start, be it to me or another mother, I will be writing a letter of complaint to the head and ccing the Governors.

And I won't just pin it to the classroom door.angry

Onemustwork Sun 02-Oct-11 08:18:01

Good glad to see I'm not being unreasonable as with most things where the kids are concerned, I can suffer the guilt trip with the best of them.

The email back I paraphrased up above, but it is as harsh as that, sent by the secretary whether instructed by the head I do not know.

But I will now be going back to the school to request the information be sent to me (and other parents).

HoneyPablo Sun 02-Oct-11 08:18:09

I would complain to the head and to the school governers. That is a shocking way to speak to a parent.
Your working arrangements are of no concern to the school secretary. The school should have ways of engaging with all parents- including those who are not able to read notices stuck on the door.
Most schools have a weekly newsletter that is given to each child to take home. It might use lots of paper/ink but is essential in maintaining relationships with parents.

post Sun 02-Oct-11 08:18:14

Sounds to me like she doesn't feel confident / inclined to organise her communications effectively and is being defensive.
Def not on.

Feenie Sun 02-Oct-11 08:20:38

I missed that it was an email, I'd assumed it was a telephone conversation. Am even more shock now! Unbelievable, really.

DownbytheRiverside Sun 02-Oct-11 08:21:01

Email.
Make sure you communicate through written forms whilst this is being resolved, and if you have telephone conversations, repeat what was said in your responding email.
Then they can't say 'Oh, but we never...' because you've got it in writing.
Anyone else in your situation?

2BoysTooLoud Sun 02-Oct-11 08:22:12

How rude of her. Not on at all.

Onemustwork Sun 02-Oct-11 08:22:47

Appears not - from what I've been able to work out, other parents are either in for the morning drop off or the afternoon pick up, and/or alternate between partners, who's doing school run.

Grumpla Sun 02-Oct-11 08:25:38

That is TOTALLY unacceptable! Very angry on your behalf. Agree you should make an appointment with the head and take in a printout of the email.

pictish Sun 02-Oct-11 08:29:52

The secretary alluded to that??!! Really???

If that's true OP, then you need to take that email straight to the head and make a massive fuss! How completely and utterly out of order! She has no right to tell you that!!!

Oh em geeeeeee! shock

DownbytheRiverside Sun 02-Oct-11 08:31:18

I work in Brighton, a lot of our parents commute to London.
That secretary would have been shredded by now if she attempted to give that sort of response.
If your child is loved and cared for and you have good childcare in place for the times you are not available, they have no business sticking their beaks in.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 02-Oct-11 08:34:20

Are you sure you haven't misunderstood the email, read between the lines and jumped to conclusions? I find it hard to believe that a school secretary would criticise one of the parents like that. It just doesn't make sense.

pictish Sun 02-Oct-11 08:35:17

That's what I thought Shatners - I cannot believe a school secretary would be so blatant!

Feenie Sun 02-Oct-11 08:35:19

What about the teachers that teach in the school she works in, then? Presumably they all ought to rethink their priorities and resign if they have children in other schools and can't pick up? Silly cow. angry

WhoresHairKnickers Sun 02-Oct-11 08:35:44

We also have a school secretary that has her nose stuck up her arse...having said that; so is the ht's. Bloody disgusting. Definitely don't let it go.

TastyMuffins Sun 02-Oct-11 08:41:44

Somehow it seems there are schools stick in some kind of backward time warp. I now get to go into school in the morning most days but my previous job meant using breakfast club every day and child minder after school. Any call to the school office to ask about anything is met with the reply of 'ask the teacher when you pick up your child' as if the possibility of anything else! Arghh, they know there are childminders and after school clubs yet they still assume.

I have never been told I should be there, that is far worse. These people really make it hard for parents to go back to work. Do write to the school over this.

Intersat Sun 02-Oct-11 08:45:50

You can't be the first parent to have a problem with the school's comunication methods. There are lots of working parents and the school should be prepared for this. We have a weekly newsletter, individual class letters and a text messaging service. In this day and age there is no end to the ways you can be contacted. I can't see any reason why the school shouldn't be able to contact it's parents on a regular basis.

DuelingFanjo Sun 02-Oct-11 08:51:32

If that was the response, truly, then I am shocked and you should most certainly complain.

Onemustwork Sun 02-Oct-11 09:24:29

Thank you for all the support. I have the fire lit inside now and will be contacting to take it further on Monday.

Scootergrrrl Sun 02-Oct-11 09:27:36

As your child is travelling on the school bus, there must surely be other parents in the same situation as you, who are also not finding out the information they need.
The secretary needs a rocket up her for being so rude!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now