Talk

Advanced search

Star of the week.

(12 Posts)
Foxy800 Fri 30-Sep-11 20:47:37

Hi, dont want to come across as the pushy mum but just wanted to ask you guys a question. Dd has been at school sinc e last september and has never been star of the week, most of the others if not all the others have been at some time or another. Just wondered if this is normal. It worries me slightly as she really struggles at school and is behind with reading, has speech issues etc and I dont want her to pick up on it. I havent said anything to the teacher as dd has never said anything about it.

Was just a general question really.

southeastastra Fri 30-Sep-11 20:48:56

our new head binned all stickers and star of the week type things. best thing she ever did!

Foxy800 Fri 30-Sep-11 20:54:04

Dd comes out with quite a few stickers which is great. As I said wouldnt normally worry but she is starting to realise that she is different to the others in terms of her education and I just dont want her to pick up on the star of the week thing (I wont bring it to her attention) and it knock her confidence.

pozzled Fri 30-Sep-11 20:55:17

Some teachers keep lists and make sure that every child in the class gets to be star of the week. Others just look for children that stand out- but sometimes children can get overlooked.

Is it the same teacher as last year? If it is, I would probably mention it. But if not I would leave it, unless your DD starts to notice.

Foxy800 Fri 30-Sep-11 20:57:19

No she has two teachers this year and neither of them were with her last year.

MartyrStewart Fri 30-Sep-11 20:58:33

DS is in year 2 now and has never been star of the week sad

It bothers me more than him though, I think blush

basana Fri 30-Sep-11 21:01:10

Hi Foxy - my DD never has either and she is vg at reading - I think it's for other little things they give that sort of thing, although it's a shame your DD's Reception teacher didn't reward the extra effort your DD must be making.

Foxy800 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:01:40

Ok, will just keep an eye on the situation and see how it develops. As I say just worrys me because of her extra needs if you see what I mean. Hopefully she wont pick up on it for a long time if at all.

pozzled Fri 30-Sep-11 21:02:09

Actually thinking about it more, I'd be slightly concerned that she's never had the award with the difficulties you mention. I find that children who struggle often need the motivation more, and also it's generally quite easy to find something that they've done really well, or made an extra effort with.

Ok, so she has new teachers- I'd give it till Christmas, then maybe mention it. But also think about how motivated she is generally, if she is getting stickers and being praised in other ways it's not such a big deal. If she lacks confidence and motivation for school, they'd definitely want to know sooner rather than later.

Foxy800 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:04:08

I didnt really think too much of it in reception as they had a bad year. 9The children coped well with it though). Their teacher was on long term sick so they had supply teachers from christmas till february then a permanant supply if that makes sense all though the teaching assistants were the same.

Foxy800 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:06:01

Thanks pozzled. the thing is I am tempted to say something at parents evening in october but dont want her to suddenly get the award cause I have said something if you see what I mean.

Foxy800 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:13:33

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now