Advanced search

Quick answer needed! Is a vertice - vertex?? - on a 3d shape where two edges meet?

(11 Posts)
Iamnotminterested Fri 30-Sep-11 18:44:06

And what are the areas where a few of them meet ie. a corner?

Thick emoticon needed.

mumblechum1 Fri 30-Sep-11 18:45:16

vertices are the edges. will go and ask ds what the corners are called blush

cece Fri 30-Sep-11 18:46:51

it is a corner, or at least that is what I thought

Iamnotminterested Fri 30-Sep-11 18:48:25

corner sounds too un-mathematical though!

bigTillyMint Fri 30-Sep-11 18:48:54

Vertices are corners of 3D shapes. Edges are edges!

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Sep-11 18:50:36

Vertices are also corners of 2D shapes.

Lexilicious Fri 30-Sep-11 18:52:11

Apex? Zenith?

EdithWeston Fri 30-Sep-11 18:57:08

Vertices are the points where 3 or more faces meet. Where two meet, it's an edge. This page might be helpful in explaining the naming of parts in a polyhedron.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Sep-11 19:23:33

Geometry .
the point farthest from the base: the vertex of a cone or of a pyramid.
a point in a geometrical solid common to three or more sides.
the intersection of two sides of a plane figure.

clam Fri 30-Sep-11 19:32:37

Vertices (singular = vertex) are the sharp bits on a solid shape! Also known as the corners. Edges are the "lines." Faces are the flat bits - where the dots are an a die, for instance.

Iamnotminterested Sat 01-Oct-11 09:23:47

Got it, thanks all! Asked the 10 year-old.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: