Talk

Advanced search

Advice to encourage 7 year old to read

(9 Posts)
helpmabob Fri 30-Sep-11 16:58:38

I am concerned that my DS is going to grow up like much of his extended family and not enjoy reading. When I try to read to him at night, he won't tolerate me reading chaper books, he just likes his old picture books. Do you think that is an issue? I worry that he should have moved on by now and I really would like to share great stories with him. It bothers me that there is no male influence showing a love for books, my dh barely reads and so my ds will grow up doing the same. His sister devours books and I would hate for him to miss out on the enriching experience of books.

What should I do?

merrymonsters Fri 30-Sep-11 17:57:13

I read an interview with Shirley Hughes once and she said something like 'we punish children for learning to read by taking pictures away from them.' I think pictures in children's books are fantastic and I can see why children love them.

Easier chapter books still have pictures in them. My 7 year old loves books like 'Yuck' and 'Danny Baker Record Breaker' and 'Fleabag Monkeyface'. They are chapter books but still have pictures.

I think any kind of reading is great and I don't think there's a rush to get into chapter books.

Swarski Fri 30-Sep-11 18:12:27

Comics are great for reluctant readers - I know that it does not feel like proper reading, but the worst thing you can do is force him to read chapter books. At 7 a lot of children are still reading books with pictures.

The Ben 10 books have pictures - so do the Oliver Moon series. Personally I can't stand Horrid Henry books, but my DS (aged 7) absolutely loves them...

ForYourDreamsAreChina Fri 30-Sep-11 18:17:28

As long as he loves stories he'll be fine.smile

Dd moved onto chapters between 7 and 8 so he might just be about to do so!

lljkk Fri 30-Sep-11 18:19:57

Any reading is good, as far as I'm concerned. Definitely includes picture books & comics. Ditto for writing.
I also have a reluctant 7yo reader.

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Fri 30-Sep-11 18:20:56

My DNephew loves beast quest - he is six. Most other boys of his age seem to love it too. Worth a try?

Taffeta Fri 30-Sep-11 18:25:17

My DS (7) likes First News ( weekly newspaper for children ), The Beano, lots of non fiction, but isn't a massive fiction fan.

In the last few months we've tried Harry Potter, Billionaire Boy, Mr Gum ( he has read a few ), Diary of a Wimpy Kid and a few others. The latter two have lots of pictires, as do the Jake Cake series, which DS was really into 6 months ago or so.

I worry though, like you, that as DH doesn't read he doesn't see it as a cool thing to do.

One thing he did love on holiday was reading with a torch in a cupboard. hmm

helpmabob Fri 30-Sep-11 21:02:07

Thanks for your replies. I shall buy some of your suggestions. Do you think that his dad not reading is an issue? Do you think that some people just don't like reading or can it be encouraged successfully in anyone? Perhaps I shouldn't place so much importance on it but it just feels really important to me.

Michaelahpurple Fri 30-Sep-11 23:38:32

I think you are on exactly the right lines keeping up the reading at night. Often people drop it once the child can read, which, as with Ms Hughes comment, seems a more reward for progress.
Seeing daddy reading might help if you think he has decided "reading is girly" - how about trying "family reading" at bedtime - we all pile on our bed and read together. However, it may just be that he still loves his picture books and will segue later. I agree with Beast Quest - got both my boys going. Also Astrosaurs. Only problem with both is that they are utterly deadly for adults to read aloud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now