Talk

Advanced search

advice about approaching a teacher

(15 Posts)
topsy1 Thu 29-Sep-11 19:46:41

Basically I'm not sure how to talk to my DS2's teacher. He has just started reception already reading - My DS1 is also an avid reader, free reading fluently by the spring term in reception. I didn't push him, just helped him do what he wanted to do.
My DS2 started reading in nursery (attached to sch), which was supported by infant teacher, but frowned on by nursery teacher who is also TA in infant class. When we had meeting at end of last term the teacher assured me that DS2 would continue to do phonics etc that were appopriate to him, rather than what the other reception could do. My problem is DS2 came home today telling me they has been doing 'a, t, p' in phonics today....obviously he knows these sounds (and their names). I asked him if this happens alot, he said yes...however he wasn't sure if he was doing other sounds. He is only 4! My problem is I don't want to come over as a pushy parent - what do I do, I could leave it until Parents evening just before half term or do I go and speak to her tomorrow.
Sorry its long!

spanieleyes Thu 29-Sep-11 19:56:50

He might be able to read, but does he know his sounds?

Panzee Thu 29-Sep-11 20:04:03

Phonics is a really good tool when learning to write and spell. Don't knock it!

AbigailS Thu 29-Sep-11 20:06:50

Phonics sessions are also about spelling not just reading.

Iamnotminterested Thu 29-Sep-11 20:10:15

Agree with other posters

talkingnonsense Thu 29-Sep-11 20:13:30

Can he write them? If so he will need more appropriate work, but if not then think of them as learning to write, not read, and help him with the correct letter formation.

mrz Thu 29-Sep-11 20:14:29

nursery teacher who is the infant class TA? hmm

I don't think a few minutes with his class mates repeating the sounds knows and perhaps showing the other children how good he is at blending and segmenting longer words while they work on cvc words is wasted especially learning about being part of a group taking turns and speaking confidently in a group.

Eglu Thu 29-Sep-11 20:15:19

Unless your ds is really bored and becpmong disruptive I'd leave it for now.

AbigailS Thu 29-Sep-11 20:16:57

And if he can write them can he blend them is spelling? - e.g. to spell stand can he hear the sounds and write - s...t...a...n...d without missing letters out. Or for cloud - c...l....ou...d.

topsy1 Thu 29-Sep-11 20:56:08

thanks - yes he can segment and blend, and on his assessment at the beginning of term he could do all phase 2 and most of phase 3 phonics. When i was doing spelling with my DS1 (yr2) my DS2 was able to hear all the sounds before my DS1. Totally agree that phonics are very important for spelling, I just want him to get work that is appropriate for him. He's the model pupil at school apparently, but his behaviuor at home is terrible - lots and lots of trantrums which i've just put down to tiredness.

topsy1 Thu 29-Sep-11 20:57:06

meant to add - yes he can form all his letters.

muffinflop Thu 29-Sep-11 22:12:03

As you said in your OP 'his is only 4!'. They've only just started, give them a chance.

FWIW my DD is also just starting reception and can already read. Her teacher has mentioned assessing her phonic skills to see where she is with her writing/spelling but hasn't mentioned it since, which is fine with me. Personally I think if you don't put your trust in the teachers at this age then you're setting yourself up for a stressful year.

AyesToTheRight Thu 29-Sep-11 22:18:47

They spend quite a short time each day doing phonics work - DD could also read when she started school and did phonics sessions with the rest of the class.

Children often behave worse at home than at school or at least if mine are anything to go by they do. I think they use up all the good behaviour there grin

Iamseeingstars Thu 29-Sep-11 22:25:15

Teachers have to go through the basics with all the class and there are times when children have to go through it as well even when they do know the stuff. And this will happen right through school.
This is usually carpet time. It also encourages children to learn how to sit quietly, listen to others, work together and is a really important stage of the day. THe more they revise something, the more solid it stays in their mind for the future and it does no harm to go over the basics over and over again.

The teachers will then do group work where their work is differentiated.

topsy1 Fri 30-Sep-11 08:31:45

thanks very much - really put my mind at rest and will wait until Parents evening to see whats going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now