Talk

Advanced search

lunch on her own :(

(7 Posts)
Sofiamum Thu 29-Sep-11 15:39:24

My dd is in Reception and she doesn't know anyone in her class.

The last couple of days she has come home really sad saying that no one wants to sit with her at lunch times, she is too shy to go and sit next to anyone so she basically sits on her own and waits for them to sit next to her.

What would you do in my situation? What advise would you give your little one? Thank you. x

mumblechum1 Thu 29-Sep-11 15:41:06

Do some role play with her, to teach her some opening conversations? I only had boys so not really sure what little girls are into these days.

Or suggest she goes up to someone who is also on their own?

IndigoBell Thu 29-Sep-11 15:41:50

Tell the teacher, it's really easy for them to sort this out.

ForYourDreamsAreChina Thu 29-Sep-11 15:42:40

Bless her. I'd have a word with the teacher and ask the teacher to make sure she is sitting with someone.

(Actually, and I'm not PFB at all, but I'd have thought that a reception teacher's job included making sure the children were all OK at lunchtime)

lizzie83 Thu 29-Sep-11 15:43:48

Hi perhaps you could have a word with her teacher just explaining the situation. You could ask her teacher if there was anyone in particular she thought she would get on with and perhaps invite them to your house for tea. I know some schools have a buddy system where new children get paired with older children or put with someone from their own class until they get settled in. I am sure it is just teething problems and I hope this helps - there is nothing worse than seeing your children sad.

FannyFifer Thu 29-Sep-11 15:44:21

Is she definately sitting alone, DS would often say he sat alone when he didn't.

Also when I ask him who he sat beside he would say no one as his friend was maybe sitting opposite him, so not actually beside him, iykwim.

LemonMousse Thu 29-Sep-11 15:51:05

Speak to the teacher who will pass this on to the luinchtime supervisors. I wonder if she is a particularly slow eater and ends up on her own, rather than not having someone to sit beside at the start?

We have some very slow eaters (not just reception) who are often there when everyone else has gone out to play! To be fair, that's the only time a child would be sat alone in our dinner hall - the number of tables and seats corresponds with the number of children eating - not really an opportunity for anyone to sit by themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now