Talk

Advanced search

I need inspiration other primary school teachers - dreaded school art project!

(10 Posts)
JimJamJars Thu 29-Sep-11 13:22:20

I have a year one class. We are doing a whole school art project themed 'winter'. The pictures need to be bold and reproducible as they are going to be copied and framed. Any ideas as to what they can do? I want vibrant but simple and winter doesn't seem to lend itself to that well!
Thanks! smile

sarahfreck Thu 29-Sep-11 13:32:00

Colour wash a "winter morning" sky across paper. Start with blue at the top and graduate down through pinks to red 3/4 down page ( too hard for Y1 - could you "production line it so they do blues then move onto pinks then reds - or could you do something with layers of tissue paper??). Paint a black strip along the bottom quarter. Let this dry. Put a rectangularish blob of black paint so it goes partly in the black strip and partly in the sky. Use a straw to blow it upwards into the sky part to make branches. Repeat a few times across page for winter trees on a coloured sky background.

sarahfreck Thu 29-Sep-11 13:33:35

Or give them creamy white cartridge paper and black charcoal/chalk pastel.
Let them draw trees/houses/snowmen etc on a snowy landscape. Get them to emphasise long bare branches.

JimJamJars Thu 29-Sep-11 13:52:10

OMG paint blowing shock <dons boiler suit> grin

I really wanted to get away from winter landscapes as I hate them I think everyone else will be doing that. Sorry, should have said in initial post blush

sarahfreck Thu 29-Sep-11 14:15:40

Winter berries? Show them some pictures of different berries (hawthorn, Rowan, Rose Hip, Holly, Pyracanthus etc) and talk about the different shapes and colours of the berries (ovals as well as spheres,reds, oranges, yellows). You could also talk about how the birds need the berries as winter food, and not eating them ourselves as poisonous etc. you could also talk about the shapes of branches and twigs, show how the thickness varies and how they branch from each other.

Let them paint bare branches on paper with thin brush so not too many tree-trunks hopefully (or cut them out and stick on). You could try this on pastel blue and green paper as well as white. Then let them stick on paper cut outs in a chosen shape and colour for berries. You could let them cut their own or give pre-cut shapes (or a mixture according to skill with scissors). Still landscape - y but not quite so much and easier/less mess.

OR construct a winter still life -white/cream candle (unlit!) fir cones, evergreens and berries, or even scarf and mittens. Just let them have a go at it in what ever media you like but talk about shapes and colours first.

JimJamJars Thu 29-Sep-11 14:21:07

Thanks for the ideas Sarah thanks Unfortunately because of the framing it has to be 2D not 3D. The berries sound good or maybe wintery clothing (then I can get some colour in!)

GalaxyWeaver Thu 29-Sep-11 14:34:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CinnamonPretzel Thu 29-Sep-11 17:14:39

Snowflake designs?

Helo Thu 29-Sep-11 18:56:52

Christmas trees made of hand prints?

CinnamonPretzel Thu 29-Sep-11 19:10:57

Fireworks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now