Talk

Advanced search

Year 5 child a little scared of teacher - should I say something?

(11 Posts)
hmc Thu 29-Sep-11 11:57:26

9 year old dd couldn't find her spelling book last night - became tearful and a little hysterical. Still concerned this morning that her teacher would 'shout at her'. Her teacher is a bit manic tbh - either Tigger happy and bouncy or Eoyore morose and grouchy! Am not overly happy about dd being anxious about going to school and seeing her class teacher. Should I say something and if so how? (in order to prevent possible repercussions due to me 'complaining')

hmc Thu 29-Sep-11 12:27:44

muffinflop Thu 29-Sep-11 12:40:39

A year 5 SHOULD be able to look after their belongings so maybe a bit of a telling off for 'losing' the book would do her some good?

Or am I missing the point?

hmc Thu 29-Sep-11 13:03:37

Yes you are - perhaps I should have pointed out that dd is dyslexic and an inability to organise themselves, remember things etc is a recognised feature of the condition.

And anyway I don't think even with an NT child losing stuff warrants shouting at them [sits on hands and avoids use of appropriate emoticon]

hmc Thu 29-Sep-11 13:05:11

Although I do agree with you that a telling off has its place....but to the point of invoking anxiety in the child though?

seeker Thu 29-Sep-11 13:08:03

Yes you should have pointed out that your dd was a special case -presumably her teacher knows and will make allowances?

Otherwise I don't think being a little ( just a little) scared of having to tell your teacher you've lost something you presumably had yesterday when you're in year 5 is necessarily a bad thing!

hmc Thu 29-Sep-11 13:10:52

Perhaps teacher doesn't understand this dimension (personal organisation) of dyslexia - there is very little input re. SpEd needs in teacher training. Perhaps I'll mention it to her

She wasn't a little scared - she was crying and rather agitated last night.

hmc Thu 29-Sep-11 13:17:07

She has been through 5 years of primary education before this year and hasn't expressed any 'fear' of her previous 5 class teachers so I suppose that's why this is flagging up as a bit of a concern to me. I guess I could leave it a little longer and 'suck it and see' though before doing anything

lesstalkmoreaction Thu 29-Sep-11 13:21:48

ds age 9 is also dyslexic and has to learn to be organised and not lose homework diary, spellings etc. I'm afraid call me a harsh parent but if he doesn't learn now with a telling off from his teacher then in 2 years when he gets to high school and has lots of different teachers he will be stuffed.

My sons major problem is remembering his homework diary so he can do his homework, firstly I thought he kept forgetting on purpose but he does forget, but I can't keep reminding him he has to be responsible and he must get into the habit of sorting himself out. If he gets a detention then thats what happens, the sooner he learns to sort himself out the better he will be in years to come. But if he was becoming distressed I might ask the teacher to go a bit easy on him but not to let him off completely.

hmc Thu 29-Sep-11 13:23:01

"But if he was becoming distressed I might ask the teacher to go a bit easy on him but not to let him off completely" - that seems fair...

IloveJudgeJudy Thu 29-Sep-11 16:19:01

Have you considered the fact that the teacher is not actually shouting, but is just speaking sternly? Agree that your DD should be organised by Y5 and not lose things. You could talk to the teacher about your DD's reaction and see what she says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now