Talk

Advanced search

New punishment method seems a bit harsh?

(8 Posts)
EyeOfNewtToeOfFrog Wed 28-Sep-11 23:46:46

My DC's school has introduced a new method of punishment for kids that lose Golden Time on a Friday: they have to sit on the floor or a low bench facing the wall really close. A friend's DC (7 yo) had to sit like this for over 15 minutes! (He's a lovely boy, not usually a trouble maker.)

Is it just me or is this a bit harsh?? shock What happens at your school?

And what do you make of the fact that it tends to be the brightest kids who get into trouble at this school...? Last Fri it was half of the top table kids facing the wall during golden time. confused

amistillsexy Wed 28-Sep-11 23:49:44

Cruel and unnecessary in my opinion. I'd be livid if that was one of my boys and it would be

EyeOfNewtToeOfFrog Wed 28-Sep-11 23:56:31

Thanks amistillsexy. I thought so too. Humiliation is never appropriate is it? Apparently it also happens in corridors in full view of anyone passing, too. [shocked]

EyeOfNewtToeOfFrog Wed 28-Sep-11 23:57:16

shock obviously! blush

merrymonsters Thu 29-Sep-11 07:24:11

That sounds very old-fashioned. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen at our school. The kids would talk about something like that.

talkingnonsense Thu 29-Sep-11 07:27:34

It sounds a bit draconian! If it was half a table though, I'd assume they all got up to something together. Bright boys cAn be a handful, are you worried they are being bored? I supply teach and often those missing golden time are on a bench facing the fun- but usually only for a few minutes. But maybe the school is responding to problems- is it a whole schoool thing or just one class?

EyeOfNewtToeOfFrog Thu 29-Sep-11 09:49:08

I'm glad to hear it's not happening in other schools as a matter of routine! It was half a table, both boys and girls, but each had a different misdemeanour so not gang action! I'm wondering about them being bored TBH. It's a whole school thing apparently - in a nice small friendly school, where behaviour has traditionally been good. I just don't understand what can be gained by humiliating the kids in front of others... hmm

dizzyday07 Thu 29-Sep-11 10:08:39

I know kids can lose Golden Time at my DD's school for bad behaviour - but I don't know what they do with the kids - I'll ask her.

Sitting facing the wall does seem a bit "off" though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now