Talk

Advanced search

New school, lower reading level

(10 Posts)
Haagendazs Tue 27-Sep-11 20:28:29

Ds has moved to junior school (y3) and has been put down a reading level. He was on the higher level from May half term and has read lots of books (to himself, for fun) over the holidays. He is finding the lower level very easy.
I wrote a note to the teacher who replied claiming their colour coded books are different to the infant school coloured ones hmm. He can read them extremely well with no help from me.
I don't want to come across as a pushy parent but this seems wrong and I'm not sure what I should do.

iggly2 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:35:17

Maybe so they can group read and discuss the book.

Haagendazs Tue 27-Sep-11 20:45:21

I guess it's possible, but I think the teacher would have said that. Plus they change their books whenever they are ready, so some kids will read 5 per week, others only 2-3.

mrz Tue 27-Sep-11 20:45:32

The colour codes for KS2 books are different to those used in KS1 and are designed to develop different skills the emphasis is on inferential and deductive comprehension rather than straight forward literal comprehension and on children understanding purpose and author viewpoints.

Haagendazs Tue 27-Sep-11 20:53:17

Ah that's interesting mrz, thanks.

Having said that, these books don't seem different to ones ds used to read, they are in biggish print with few lines to the page and seem pretty basic. Also the guide says ds is now working at level 2a but ds got level 3 in reading.

redskyatnight Tue 27-Sep-11 21:10:11

Same thing has happened here. DS is definitely reading much easier books than last year. However, I've not raised it with the teacher as I've also realised that although the books are easier to decode, the subject matters, use of language etc are more complex. There's also more of a mix of genre e.g. he's had poetry, non-fiction, non-fiction narrative as well as more "usual" fiction. Also he is enjoying them more (was always a struggle at last school to read reading books).

I've noticed that the school seems to have started lower but is ramping up quickly in a few other subjects too.

Possibly some of that applies to your case?

Karoleann Tue 27-Sep-11 21:23:33

Same with us, new teacher has given us a very easy book. I just put a note in with it saying - great story, really well read - maybe a little easy?
We've a new book tonight which is the right level.

Haagendazs Tue 27-Sep-11 21:24:02

Hmm I will go and have another look at today's book as I haven't really noticed a difference but probably haven't really been looking for one. He has had poetry for the first time though.

blue84 Wed 28-Sep-11 12:00:56

I have found that both my dc have become stuck on their levels. Both reading them easily but teacher not moved them up due to comprehension. Perfectly happy with this.
Karoleann you are lucky your dc's teachers look at reading record. I have on previous occassions put notes it and they are never responded to. I find a word with the teacher better.

seeker Wed 28-Sep-11 12:06:20

And you know what? It rally, really doesn't matter! They will all be free readers soon, and in a couple of yearsyou won't be able to remember exactly when that happened. Honestly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now