Talk

Advanced search

Independent school in Chelmsford

(6 Posts)
deepus Tue 27-Sep-11 11:23:54

Hi, We are planning to move towards Chelmsford. Looking at the schools for my 7 yr old daughter, came across St. Annes preparatory school in Chelmsford. Does any parents have any views/ideas about this school? Also, do they really prepare the kids for the 11+ exam? what are the pros and cons views from the previous or existing parents point? Is the money spent really worth?

caravaning Tue 27-Sep-11 22:31:24

My children are in a local state school but I have friends with children there. My understanding is that they really focus on 11 plus and will do everything they can to get your child through as they publish the numbers they get through each year as a key selling point. What I have seen is a huge amount of homework and extra classes for 11 plus prep plus parents using additional tutoring etc which is fine for highly motivated, hard working and very bright children who enjoy it but torture for others!

If you are looking for grammar schools note that in Chelmsford the grammars take top 1 per cent or so unlike some counties such as Kent/Bucks which I think take a much higher percentage although there are other options here such as Southend with lower entry requirements but a longer journey.

Worth considering what you would do if 11 plus did not work out as the local private seconday is New Hall which is catholic or select your house to be in catchment for one of the better comprehensives if you cant afford private. Best to think ahead as very few can guarantee a place at grammar school in Chelmsford.

Drop off/pick up at all schools in London Rd looks a nightmare to me as there is so little parking but have never done it personally, I would try it out first.

Happy to help further

deepus Fri 30-Sep-11 09:58:48

Thanks a lot for your info. Drop off/pick up in London road is very tough. heard about it. as you said i need to try it out first. Thanks again. Will have a think about it.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Sep-11 15:53:13

A friend of mine sends her children to Widford Lodge and rates it highly- they seem to have a fairly high rate getting into various Grammar schools.

Another sends hers to New Hall which has both a prepschool and a Secondary dept- Although they take non Catholics I believe it has a strong Catholic ethos (which put me off I have to say.)

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Sep-11 15:58:46

Another Option for Private secondary (if the 11+ doesn't work out- and it really is amazingly competetive as CCHSG and KEGS are Superselectives) which is easily reached from Chelmsford is Brentwood Independent. DD1 goes there and it's fab. Quite a few of her friends live in Chelmsford- just a thought...

Sofiamum Fri 30-Sep-11 18:49:48

How about St Cedds?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now