Talk

Advanced search

Daft question re party invites: how early do you hand them out?

(11 Posts)
groak Mon 26-Sep-11 22:53:14

Ok, so, first couple of weeks at school going ok (touch wood). DD will be having party early November. Friends out f school will be part of group invited but I have asked her if she wants to invite anyone from schol and she has mentioned 3 children. So, how early before the date is it the norm to hand out invites? Daft qustionbut don't want to look over eager or leave it too late. New school year so don't know any of the children or ther parents wdell either, buut they seem nice smile

dizzyday07 Tue 27-Sep-11 01:00:58

As half term is towards the end of October, if itwas me I'd hand them out in the week before school breaks up

nothingnatural Tue 27-Sep-11 01:06:06

Here it seems to be the norm to give at least a months notice. As mums are very very neurotic busy.

Runoutofideas Tue 27-Sep-11 07:39:34

I would hand them out the week before half term too.

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 27-Sep-11 08:33:49

Yes, the week before half term. If I get a month's notice I'm liable to put it on the "do later" pile and forget all about it blush.

GooseyLoosey Tue 27-Sep-11 08:37:59

It varies a lot. I usually give about a month's notice. That said, I forget about the invites when the dcs get them that early and if they only arrive a couple of weeks in advance, they don't seem to get so overlooked.

redskyatnight Tue 27-Sep-11 09:40:22

I would normally send them out 2.5-3 weeks ahead. 2 weeks is too short (and people are booked up). Any more ahead and they tend to get "filed" and forgotten IME.

I'd also send them out before half term and (depending on how soon you want numbers) I'd also ask for replies back before the holiday.

MirandaWest Tue 27-Sep-11 09:45:45

About 3 weeks before I would say (although have had ones further in advance). And gave out DD's 2 months in advance, but there was a summer holiday in the middle and giving them out when school went back would have meant only about 12 days before party which would have been too soon).

stealthsquiggle Tue 27-Sep-11 09:50:27

I have just handed out DD's for party in 3 weeks - if half term is in time between now and party I would add that on, IYSWIM.

I am now irrationally annoyed at one mother (who annoys me anyway) for answering this morning with a casual "if we're around" - now I know she has no reason to know this, but I am making stuff with DC's names on - so now I have to make one with her child's name on just in case they don't have anything better to do hmm? She got a stony look and a "well let me know nearer the time, then" so she probably now knows thinks I am a strange control freak.

privateprancer Tue 27-Sep-11 09:52:39

I would say 3 weeks, but I would also mention it earlier to very good friends' parents in passing just to make sure that her 'best mates' can go

noramum Wed 28-Sep-11 10:38:14

If the party is on a weekend I normally text the closest friends with the date as soon as I booked it (2 monthisch). Proper invitations will go out 1 months before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now