Talk

Advanced search

dandelion readers

(15 Posts)
wobblypig Mon 26-Sep-11 21:44:40

Wondered if anyone had experience of these for reception. DS started on them and they seem to have engaging pictures and quite rapid progression to longer sentences and ' stories' . Seem a bit more interesting than ORT

Anyone else got feedback ?

Thanks

IndigoBell Tue 27-Sep-11 09:36:31

They're great books. And they're decodeable phonetic books.

They're far better than ORT, you're very lucky to get them.

blackeyedsusan Tue 27-Sep-11 10:14:02

envy

wobblypig Tue 27-Sep-11 23:23:00

Thanks for response, DS seems to like them and ahs really encouraged him to read. They are funny little books but I think that is the appeal

UniS Tue 27-Sep-11 23:29:32

DS disliked them. we struggled to get him to sit and read them. He was forever picking out "wrong" things in the pictures.
They are however very decodeable books.

wobblypig Tue 27-Sep-11 23:46:24

Unis - what did he like better? So many schools seem to do ORT I was intrigued to see something different

UniS Wed 28-Sep-11 15:00:03

Ds has brought home a mix of ORT old and ORT new( hes hot n cold about kipper an co) , floppy phonics ( he likes them coz they were photo stories about real children), Dandelion launchers and readers, songbirds phonics, Nelson PM readers , rigby star readers... Right old hodgepodge. Its worked well for DS as he likes format for a book or two then goes off them, so is given something different.

generalising- DS likes photos over drawings. Non fiction over stories. Sport as teh subject of the story or book. Any book with bikes in. Yr1 TA got him spot on last week when his first book in a new book band was one about BMX bike racing.

mrz Wed 28-Sep-11 17:38:35

He would probably like the Project X phonics books then Unis

UniS Wed 28-Sep-11 18:54:55

I'll look out for them. He is on the Pearson Books review panel ( thank you mumsnet) and is liking most of the Bug club readers, plenty of photo stories and information books. Even one about lego.

mrz Wed 28-Sep-11 19:18:08

Project X e book

UniS Wed 28-Sep-11 19:53:04

Thank you.. LOTS of e-books on that site, fab. DS does like e-books.

wobblypig Wed 28-Sep-11 20:54:33

Funnily enough DS brought home another dandelion reader and a ORT today - apparently to move away from phonics and on to recognising words withotu sounding out so obviously a role for mix and match.

mrz Thu 29-Sep-11 08:00:52

shock

sorry wobblypig that is very bad practice and against government policy!

ASByatt Thu 29-Sep-11 09:39:44

Oh dear, I was feeling all positive and heartened that more schools were actually replacing the ancient ORT Biff Chip etc books that don't match how they are (supposed to be) teaching children to read, and then I read your last post, wobblypig!

So sounds like they are going to for a mish mash approach then, rather than the synthetic phonics they are supposed to be using.

wobblypig Thu 29-Sep-11 23:09:15

The class is learning Jolly Phonics in a fairly systematic way; but DS knows his phonics and his problem was that although he can read long words and stories he relies on sounding everything out.

So I think from what the teacher has written down in the reading LOG that she wants him to get better at recognising that he knows the word hence the ORT. I don't know this for sure .

I was a bit disappointed with getting an ORT as I liked the dandelion ones as did DS. I suppose we will see what happens next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now