Talk

Advanced search

Homework tips

(10 Posts)
lifesamerrygoround Mon 26-Sep-11 20:16:31

Hi all,
Anyone got any tips for helping a reluctant 6 year old who HATES doing homework and is struggling with work? I know he struggles, but how can I make him understand it needs done and the less he moans about it the quicker it can be done?

pilates Mon 26-Sep-11 20:23:32

I have this with my 7 yr old and I say to him that we will set a time of say 1/2 hr to do the homework and whatever he does in that time will be handed in to his teacher with a note on the bottom relaying the above. I don't think a teacher would expect you to spend any more time than that on homework at his age. At least the teacher knows you have tried.

lifesamerrygoround Mon 26-Sep-11 21:35:13

Hi Pilates, your right, I really dont think it would matter if it wasnt finished as long as they can see the effort.
DS is not too bad when you get him started. Its getting him started is the problem. Its tears, distraction, attitide, huffing and slaming doors. You name it. I keep my cool (how I do not know), but inside im screaming.
I woner if I give him a chance and if he doesnt do it say "thats fine, i'll just leave a note for your teacher to say you woulnt do it". Would that be wrong?

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 26-Sep-11 22:30:43

What is your school's attitude to homework? DD1 was like this in Year 1 and I had a word with the teacher about it. She basically said "if it's causing grief, don't bother to do it, life's too short!" Which was refreshing. Six months later, it stopped being an issue and she did it quite happily.

If school is strict about homework, I'd go for setting a time, at a consistent time of day. Make sure he's not hungry and/or tired. Keep things as calm as possible and let him stop as soon as he's done a reasonable amount of time.

Alternatively, does he respond to bribery? grin

RosemaryandThyme Mon 26-Sep-11 22:42:43

My 6 year old does his whilst eating at he table after school, worksheets sometimes get a little sticky.
If he's keen to run off then he skate-boards round the kitchen table while I holler questions based on the home-work he should have done, if I think he knows enough I sign his homework and write "discussed and x understands".

lifesamerrygoround Tue 27-Sep-11 08:27:41

achickencalledkorma - I try to stay positive about homework. I dont scream and shout out loud (if only you knew what Im thinking in my head lol)
DS struggles with handwriting so I think thats half the problem.
Bribery works great, only problem is he sets the goals to bloody high. Sweets dont do it anymore. Your talking lego figures!
Rosemary, Ive been trying to slip odd bit of homework in discreetly without him knowing.grin Hes catching on and now replies "i'll do my homework later, really I promise.

sarahfreck Tue 27-Sep-11 13:35:22

How about stickers/tokens for getting down to it without a fuss when asked. 10 stickers/tokens = 1 lego figure or whatever he is into. You may have a couple of days where you have to endure a strop because you've refused him a sticker because he's made a fuss, but he should soon get the hang of it!

You could also try a learning contract along lines of...
DS understands that homework is important and that his teacher wants him to do it.
Mum understands that DS finds the work tricky and will help him with it.
Ds agrees that he will get down to his homework without moaning or faffing around (or some such wording!)
Mum agrees that she will give a sticker for each homework session completed without fuss. 10 stickers = 1 lego figure
Mum agrees that as long as DS is concentrating well, no homework session will be longer than 20 mins/half hour
and then both sign it

lifesamerrygoround Tue 27-Sep-11 13:49:55

Hi Sarah,
Learning contract! It sounded crazy at the beginning and I even laughed, but do you know what, the more I thought about it, I think it would really work a treat with DS. Im going to do one up now and give it a try! Thanks
Will keep you posted. smile

frasersmummy Tue 27-Sep-11 13:55:02

Just another thought .. is he hungry. I had exactly the same problem .. one of my friends suggested feeding him twice eg roll and sausage after school and then proper dinner later

worked wonders.... after he eats he just zips through his homework!!

sarahfreck Tue 27-Sep-11 14:18:21

Looking forward to hearing how it goes! Another good technique can be to ask DS whether he thinks he has kept to his side of the contract at the end of the session rather than just telling him how he has done! Be prepared for some amusing interesting replies!

You could also agree on a time that he will start his homework (to save on the "do it later" type arguments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now