Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth complaining to a CofE school that they took ds's class to the local Gospel Church?

(7 Posts)
DrNortherner Mon 26-Sep-11 18:01:24

Point 1. We had no idea they were going. Signed no consent form.

Point 2. Yes, he attends a CofE school and they regularly attend services at the local CofE church. They have alos visited a Sikh temple and a mosque. No problems with this.

However, the Gospel church is the 'lets get kids in, give them sweets, offer them a free bus once a week to 'youth church' and then brain wash them all.

He came home with lots of leaflets crap about how we have sinned, and if we reject God we will be condemned. It also talks about sexual immorality, impurtity, lust, evil desires and greed. All a bit much for 9 year olds I think.

Thoughts?

LIZS Mon 26-Sep-11 18:05:54

We sign a general consent form at the beginning of the year . However I too would be a bit hmm about the nature of the literature although chances are he just picked up a handful of colourful stuff without taking it in.

DrNortherner Mon 26-Sep-11 18:06:49

They were all given envelopes of the stuff to bring home......

TheProvincialLady Mon 26-Sep-11 18:07:11

I am a christian (CofE) but that doesn't sound like a very appropriate school trip. I would express my concerns. They aren't supposed to be converted by all the various places of worship they visit - they are supposed to be learning about them.

Ladymuck Mon 26-Sep-11 18:28:32

I might be tempted to ask why they went, given the fact that they already visit a church regularly. But to be honest if this was the only thing that the school did which irked me then I would be truly delighted. In my case something like this would be so trivial that I'd let it go.

HouseOfBamboo Mon 26-Sep-11 19:00:13

I would be concerned that my child had been taken out of school on a trip with no advance notice to the parents. All our school trips are flagged up well in advance and although a blanket form is signed at the beginning of the year, the school also issues separate info and consent letters with a tear off form for each trip.

This would seem to make sense, for one thing so that parents can discuss the learning experience with the child when they get home. I'd hate to have to rely on DD's version of where she had been that day - she'd be just as likely to recount details of her school trip to Mars as the local museum. hmm

HouseOfBamboo Mon 26-Sep-11 19:06:24

But if you feel your DS is mature enough to understand, it might be a useful opportunity to discuss the more sinister side of evangelism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now