Talk

Advanced search

Swimming in y3 just started- all get changed but only some swim?

(6 Posts)
sydenhamhiller Mon 26-Sep-11 16:30:36

Hi, just wondering if this is usual practice? My eldest has just started swimming lessons in y3.

He said last week that they all got changed but only some got to swim- he got to swim that time. He theorised that it might have been because they were late. Then today, bad mother that I am, I forgot his swimming kit (the shame the shame), and got a call from school half way home asking if I could drop it by? Raced home with double buggy, whizzed kids into carseats, grabbed bag and back to school to drop off. Phew.

Pick up DS and friend who both inform me they got changed and then sat there, as they got to swim last time. Why did they get me to drop swimming things off then? Why bother taking all the class? Is this a usual way of running school swimming lessons?

Any feedback gratefully received!

IndigoBell Mon 26-Sep-11 16:41:34

The first few weeks they normally test each kid individually to decide what swimming group to put them in.

Once that's sorted they'll all swim every week.

sydenhamhiller Mon 26-Sep-11 21:14:11

Thnx IndigoBell...

In perverse way was hoping that if forgot bag in future, only 50% chance he'd actually miss swimming grin)

mumofboy Mon 26-Sep-11 22:15:50

Doesn't sound right to me. I've taken classes swimming (in the Sydenham area too...) and never have I had some of them not swim except on the rare occasion they had been particularly poorly behaved. I'd just mention it to the teacher who will then mention it to the swimming teacher who will then, with luck, get her arse in gear. Unacceptable imo. Yes, they need to be assessed but that's not done 1:1 - that's an ineffective waste of time. Even if they don't get the full 30 minutes in the water they should have got in for a splash about.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 26-Sep-11 22:27:26

How very odd!

DD1 has had swimming in Year 3 and Year 4. They are allocated to groups during the first lesson and then taught in four ability groups. All children swim during every lesson.

Mumwithadragontattoo Tue 27-Sep-11 23:20:26

That's the oddest thing I've ever heard. And what a waste of your time with the kit. I hope it was just that the assessment took longer than expected so some kids couldn't get in but will in future. It's important to learn to swim and you can't do that on the side!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now