Talk

Advanced search

What can your Yr1 child do?

(50 Posts)
Radiohead1 Mon 26-Sep-11 15:19:51

Or knows from reception?

Hulababy Mon 26-Sep-11 15:22:36

In terms of what? Any egs?

i do't have a y1 child but I work in a y1 class so see quite a mixed range of abilities in various areas.

hester Mon 26-Sep-11 15:27:16

Erm... she can read, knows her numbers well up to 20 and with help up to 100, knows interesting facts about conkers and sharks, draws a nice stick man...

Pretty standard I think, given she is an autumn baby.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?

SummerRain Mon 26-Sep-11 15:35:50

She can do a fairly good forward roll and and an almost competent front crawl.

HTH

hester Mon 26-Sep-11 16:58:38

Ah, now my dd can't do forward rolls OR front crawl... Her ball skills are pretty shit too grin

blackeyedsusan Mon 26-Sep-11 18:02:56

my dd can walk round with 2 pringle tins on he feet. grin

<not helpful>

blackeyedsusan Mon 26-Sep-11 18:03:32

her

SamsungAndDelilah Mon 26-Sep-11 18:05:11

mine can make potions. Using water and other unspecified liquids, in a non-watertight wooden chest on his bedroom floor. Which is carpeted. And no little alarm bells went off in his little head during this process.

Mine can also burp on demand and is on white band breakfast cereal <involuntary preen>

MirandaWest Mon 26-Sep-11 18:09:00

Mine does quite a lot of things.

Am most proud of how she is perservering with learning how to ride her bike with no stabilisers which means much more to me than her academic stuff tbh.

glitch Mon 26-Sep-11 18:12:53

Mine is very good at soaking his feet by scooting through puddles angry

SummerRain Mon 26-Sep-11 18:19:13

Miranda... I was most proud of dd for that too a few weeks ago. Until she crashed into a concrete post and split her head open requiring stitching. At which point I was very proud of how brave she was whilst the gp sewed her up.

iggly2 Mon 26-Sep-11 19:48:09

Get his mummy annoyed...........

newtermnewname Mon 26-Sep-11 19:54:53

Sorry, but why is everyone being arsey with the OP?

newtermnewname Mon 26-Sep-11 19:55:18

I do not have a child new in year one to comment BTW.

SamsungAndDelilah Mon 26-Sep-11 20:00:21

why is everyone being arsey with the OP? Because this is our raison d'etre...

No, it's because the only other way the trhead will go is this:

Tarquin is on purple band books and is starting to join his writing. He knows several times tables.

Josephine is on gold band books and writes neatly with consistent punctuation. She is on NC level 1a already. In maths she knows all her times tables.

Horatio is on white band books and composes poetry. He's a little behind with his maths but should be ready for CE in a year's time

ad infinitum

yellowsubmarine41 Mon 26-Sep-11 20:00:55

There was a post the other day about what can your Y2 do and it all got a bit heated and daft.

It is a bit of an open question - in relation to what would narrow the field down a bit.

yellowsubmarine41 Mon 26-Sep-11 20:01:48

There was a post the other day about what can your Y2 do and it all got a bit heated and daft.

It is a bit of an open question - in relation to what would narrow the field down a bit.

bluelaguna Mon 26-Sep-11 20:02:02

I think these replies are a bit mean! The OP clearly wants to see if her child in year 1 is OK or not.

My DS is in year 1. He can:

-read ORT level 3
-spell words that can be sounded out up to about 5 or 6 letters (eg crush) and spell a few sight words - I, we, the, to, he, she and a few more
-his writing is rather big and ugly but he can form letters properly (with the exception of a couple he has forgotten)
-not really sure with maths - he can do stuff like 4+4, not sure what else
-he can swim a length
-he can't ride a bike yet, nearly though

Not sure what else. He is my PFB and was late to speak if that's relevant to you.

SamsungAndDelilah Mon 26-Sep-11 21:35:02

My PFB DS is in year 1. He can:

-read ORT level 10
-spell quite a few sight words
-write a lot, but his letters aren't generally formed properly
-knows 2,3,4,5,6,10 tables and can add 2-digit numbers mentally and (given quite a bit of time) subtract them, but not so reliably. Can name 2d and 3d shapes, knows units of measurement etc.
-can swim a length
-can't ride a bike.
-can use the computer (inc google) much too well...

He didn't talk till he was 2 but then launched into sentences.

hester Mon 26-Sep-11 21:39:17

Blimey Samsung grin

SamsungAndDelilah Mon 26-Sep-11 21:40:56

I think he may stall in Y1 though as he appears to be pathologically incapable of listening to instructions (he reckons he knows everything already hmm)

strictlovingmum Mon 26-Sep-11 21:42:34

Samsung, you have a young Bismarck on your handsgringrin
Puts my DD to shamegrin

iggly2 Mon 26-Sep-11 21:53:35

OP I think try and ask your childs teacher if you have concerns. All children vary. I think most are capable of an awful lot but priorites vary (what the child/parent is interested in).

PatriciaHolm Mon 26-Sep-11 22:20:18

As others have said, what specifically are you interested in? My Y1 boy can...
- read on red band (so very basic)
- write about the same level
- do one digit addition and subtraction, knows 2x, 5x and 10x tables
- ride a bike well, ski, snorkel, and swim
- parries a mean lightsaber ;-)

Can you guess where is current preferences lie on learning vs playing ;-)

UniS Mon 26-Sep-11 22:46:30

Can ride his bike up the flat bank, but not the quarter pipe ( yet) .

He remembers who was "naughty" in reception, they are still " naughty" in Yr 1 he says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now