Talk

Advanced search

Catholic Primary Admission - Religious Affiliation

(11 Posts)
LouRoucas Mon 26-Sep-11 07:01:00

We meet all the criteria for applying to our local Catholic Primary.

On the admission from there is a 'supplementary declaration' and it mentions to provide further details of your 'religious affiliation and practice'. What does this actually mean? What should we put there - if anything at all?

Many thanks

wantadvice Mon 26-Sep-11 07:50:09

Our local catholic schools require commitment to the local parish/community/school etc. This includes things like cleaning church, flowers in church, liturgy, brownies/cubs etc. If it's an oversubscribed school then you would need to go above and beyond the criteria so they can select usually on a points system according to the other stuff you do.

Ladymuck Mon 26-Sep-11 09:20:07

You would need to state which church you attend, why it is not your local parish one if it isn't, and how frequently each of you attend (may be worth emphasising that you do attend for midweek Holydays of Obligation if you do). You need to look at the precise requirements for your school but this is your chance to provide "evidence" that you do at least meet (and preferably exceed) their criteria. So put age and date of baptism, whether you are part of any additional activities in the parish or similar. Many schools will ignore brownies etc as these are practically secular. But membership of the Society of St Vincent de Paul or Catholic Womens Group count, as would being an altar server or a lay reader. If you have older children it is worth emphasising that they have been through Catholic schools if they have.

annh Mon 26-Sep-11 09:45:53

Have you actually seen this supplementary form yet? Usually it requires signature by the priest, rather than a lot of information from you about your involvement.

LouRoucas Mon 26-Sep-11 21:25:05

Thanks everyone. Yes I have seen the form - it's just to put the additional information in - additional to the priest signing the form.

That's why I am confused - it says don't put things down like doing readings, flowers, additional activities etc. So what on earth do they mean?

LouRoucas Sun 16-Oct-11 08:44:19

Bumping for any more advice! Thanks.

scarevola Sun 16-Oct-11 08:52:03

Put down how often you attend, and any other involvement in the church.

If you're still not sure, ask your PP.

LouRoucas Sun 16-Oct-11 08:58:52

Thanks. Should really just ask the priest but don't want to look like a pushy mum!

The 'attendance box' is on another part of the form - the additional bit just says 'give other supporting information re your religious affiliation and practice' And specifically asks not to put down any additional things that you might do for the church.

Lonnie Sun 16-Oct-11 11:34:30

Ask the priest it wont make you look pushy it will make you look like someone that wants to get the chatolic education for your child very much, hence wants to get it right. He will see that as a possitive thing.

scarevola Sun 16-Oct-11 15:05:09

It might be there to cover people who have moved and who want to give their previous parish information too?

Rollergirl1 Sun 16-Oct-11 19:41:49

Lou: Our form had that too and also said that you shouldn't list things like readings, flowers or anything that someone that was in full time employment could not do. I put nothing. There wasn't actually a specific place/box on the application for you to write it anyway, so I didn't bother. My DD got in to the school.

Have now just completed the school application for DS for September next year. The supplementary form was the same and I once again didn't add anything. And the additional comments box on the LEA form now has (optional) by it, thank god. When I filled it out for my DD 2 years ago people were saying that what you wrote in the additional comments bit made or break your application. What a load of tosh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now