Talk

Advanced search

Private Tutors

(13 Posts)
fruitshootsandheaves Sun 25-Sep-11 13:07:49

I'm looking into getting a private English tutor for my DS
I don't really want to go into any of the tutoring clubs like Kumon and am really looking for an individual person nearby.
I have no idea where to start. I don't know anyone else who has done this and there is noone listed near me in Yellow Pages
DS is 10 and is REALLY struggling. I have just had another storming off in tears incident because of his homework. I hate it. It ruins every weekend and we are both getting stressed.
He is really going to struggle at upper school next year if i don't do something.

Foxranawaywithhisshoes Sun 25-Sep-11 14:12:37

I started by asking his teacher - I thought there might be someone in the school who did private tutoring. But it turned out that the school itself had
employed tutors from a private company to help out their struggling pupils.

The firm they use is based in South London and called Harrison Allen. We have booked 6 sessions for our DS1 aged 7 who is struggling with written English. Be warned it is costly - about £300 for 6 sessions and they want paying up front.

fruitshootsandheaves Sun 25-Sep-11 14:26:02

£300! shock oh dear

IndigoBell Sun 25-Sep-11 15:51:10

There are loads and loads of tutors on the internet.

Just google 'tutor' and you town name and you will find them.

And you shouldn't be paying anything like £50ph. In London £25ph is common, I assume it's a bit less out of London.......

Marymaryalittlecontrary Sun 25-Sep-11 16:40:50

There are some websites. UK Tutors is one. Tutors on there normally teach sessions for about £20 per hour, at your house or theirs. I have seen adverts up in shop windows or shop noticeboards too, advertising someone's services as a tutor.

RoyalWelsh Sun 25-Sep-11 16:45:53

If I can figure out how, fruitshoots, I will PM you...

fruitshootsandheaves Sun 25-Sep-11 19:12:23

Thanks everyone
I'm thinking i might phone the school first and see what they say and if they can recommend anyone.
I will ask around to see if there is anyone local.

sarahfreck Mon 26-Sep-11 14:06:12

I am a private tutor - I would advise the following:

Be very careful about agencies. Some are great, but some are a hard sell and a bit of a rip-off IMO. IMO, smaller local/regional agencies that have been established some while are best.

If you find someone local you can ask/check:
do they have any testimonials/references from other parents;
do they have a CRB check;
are they willing to either meet with you or chat on the phone about the issues your child has and how they might deal with them;
do they seem approachable, sympathetic and friendly;
how many lessons (if any) do they ask you to commit to up-front (I don't know of any tutors who ask for a large payment up-front. I ask for payment at the end of each lesson and 2 weeks notice if you want to stop tutoring. I do also usually charge if people cancel at short ( less than 48 hours) notice, but I make this really clear at the start of the tutoring;
are there any additional costs ( eg for workbooks );
Try and find someone who is either a quialified teacher or has some years of successful experience.

sarahfreck Mon 26-Sep-11 14:06:40

"qualified" - I am not in speed typing!!

newtermnewname Mon 26-Sep-11 14:11:37

"The school itself had employed tutors from a private company to help out their struggling pupils " ! shock

Get thee to another school!

howtocalmachild Mon 26-Sep-11 14:54:35

£50 per session I would be very suspicious. £25 tops!

CrosswordAddict Mon 26-Sep-11 14:57:27

fruitshoot
I am a private tutor and certainly do not charge anything near the figures quoted on this thread.
Try first tutors.co.uk and see what they come up with. I have registered with them and find them efficient and useful.

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 26-Sep-11 18:10:46

thankyou sarahfreck for all that advice.
I will look at that site crosswordaddict
thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now