Talk

Advanced search

Complete list of phonemes & graphemes and questions please

(9 Posts)
RaisinHell Sat 24-Sep-11 12:23:40

I am trying to make some charts of grapheme groups for each phoneme. I found a list on the internet which is from a site called K3 but as I was writing them out I came across a couple of possible omissions.

For example the 'air' group has 'air', 'ear', 'are' in it but no 'ere' as in there, is this an omission or I am trying to put it in the wrong group? (It's not in the 'er', 'ir', 'ur' group either not that I think it should be there)

Also the 'ear' group has 'ear', 'eer', 'ere' in it but no 'ei' as in weir.

I'd be grateful for any advice or a point to a link where there are complete lists. Thank you!

Feenie Sat 24-Sep-11 12:33:36

Try this

maizieD Sat 24-Sep-11 14:32:01

I might even put in 'ar' as in Mary, caries, wary, canary, but it depends on just how deeply you want to go into it!

blackeyedsusan Sat 24-Sep-11 14:32:58

files/The Alphabetic Code.pdf indigo posted this it is less colourful

blackeyedsusan Sat 24-Sep-11 14:33:40

perhaps you should find indigos link as I obviously can't!

maverick Sat 24-Sep-11 15:18:49

Just a thought, it's £2.50 to download this lexicon but it's really comprehensive and includes a discussion and analysis of English spelling too.

www.lulu.com/product/paperback/english-spellings/10260593

RaisinHell Sat 24-Sep-11 19:51:18

Thank you all very much indeed! Been out all afternoon, shall have a good look at those in the morning.

RaisinHell Thu 29-Sep-11 10:19:39

Just wanted to say thanks again, I am back on this now and the link from Feenie is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all very much!

Feenie Thu 29-Sep-11 16:36:17

Glad it was useful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now