Talk

Advanced search

key stage 1 English teaching & test materials

(10 Posts)
olguis Fri 23-Sep-11 12:18:21

Can anyone please recommend books / online resources which I can use to support DS in Y2 - he is behind in his literacy. Exercises, examples, level 5-8 would be very useful. I can only find targets online.

As a non-native speaker, I would not even know how to do joined-up capital lettters, and DS doesn't know. Where can I find this kind of info?

newtermnewname Fri 23-Sep-11 12:46:04

Be back later with more, but to start with level 5-8 is high school stuff, if you mean national curriculum levels - at key stage one the levels are 1-3 usually.

And you don't join capitals.

olguis Fri 23-Sep-11 13:11:54

newtermnewname: here:
http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-1-and-2/subjects/english/attainmenttargets/index.aspx
it says levels 1-8 key stage 1

re:capitals: do you just print them then?

thanks!

aries12 Fri 23-Sep-11 13:16:24

National curriculum levels at key stage 1 are 1 -3. The levels you are referring to may be reading levels in English perhaps?

olguis Fri 23-Sep-11 14:23:00

ah, ok, yes, they are reading levels..

aries12 Fri 23-Sep-11 14:32:33

Buy any of the workbooks e.t.c from a bookshop. Most of the books are linked to the National Curriculum and linked to the appropriate Key stage. I use "Maths and English" Gold Stars, Mega Maths, Mega English (Marks and Spencers have stands of these)
WH Smith also have lots to chose from in the Primary section. Another very good series is CGP ..they have study books and workbooks.
If you spend a little time every day with your child he will quickly catch up.
You can also buy Sats papers for end of year 2..but it will probably take a while before you need them but it's nice to know what exactly is required.

aries12 Fri 23-Sep-11 14:35:11

Of course the best thing you can encourage your child to do is read, if he reads, his spelling and writing will improve. Go to the library, find books he is interested in even if it means you have to read with him for a while.

olguis Fri 23-Sep-11 14:58:28

aries12: The thing is that he reads quite well; but when he's got to write he doesn't remember how things were written. He sounds words and phonemes and writes with nearly 100% wrong spelling. Even the simplest words. There seems to be no link between his reading and writing proficiency. The teachers were happy last year with what he wrote and told me bad spelling is normal, however after summer holiday, now, suddenly it became abnormal and he is 'behind in literacy' sad

olguis Fri 23-Sep-11 15:00:12

and he writes much better in his native tongue, also in terms of orthography. when I taught him that, though, I didn't use the phonics method, hence the difference... or maybe that is not the reason, just the languages are so different..

mrz Fri 23-Sep-11 17:30:12

olguis the link you gave are not reading levels they are National Curriculum levels but not for KS1 they are from age 5 to 14!

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-1-and-2/subjects/english/attainmenttargets/index.aspx
^
The expected level at the end of KS1 is a 2 and please don't buy workbooks speak to his teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now