Talk

Advanced search

sex ed in pimary school

(8 Posts)
workshy Thu 22-Sep-11 22:35:15

what age do they start doing this?

I'm very open with my girls (my mum left and educational leaflet on my pillow when I was 9 and I don't want it to be like that for my girls)

we have discussed puberty, the start of periods etc and they are pretty clued up, but the other kids don't seem to be

my nearly 10year old (year 5) has started wearing a bra because she needed one -running with a white school shirt on, eve with a crop top was not a good look!
but she is getting loads of stick from the other girls in her class ranging from being called fat (which she definately isn't), to being told she is pretending she needs one and is just showing off!
I've approached the whole bra thing in a very matter of fact way and she was fine with it until they went back to school -do these girls mothers not talk to them about stuff like this???

also for pe they still get changed on their tables in the classroom so boys and girls together -is this normal practise?

thanks smile

SanctiMoanyArse Thu 22-Sep-11 22:39:19

Year 6 for my boys.

I thought it was a bit late (some girls had alreadt started periods etc) but ds1 reported that very few children knew anything- he ended up correcting teh ones that thought sprem were from females - so maybe it's just me. Again.

They did change together until year 6.

LittlePushka Thu 22-Sep-11 23:03:36

As soon as they stary asking the questions,...about 2.5!! obviously in an age appropriate way but periods should come as no shock to any child. My boys3 & 5 know women bleed sometimes unless they are pregnant - they see all the equipment. They know the difference betwwn male and female in animals and people and they know why.

Why make it a big deal or a rite of passage? Just make the information available and bring it into normal conversation.

LittlePushka Thu 22-Sep-11 23:53:23

workshy,...my last question was meant to be a rhetorical one, though does not read as such! I meant to express that totally I agree with you on the whole matter of fact sort of thing and just wanted you to know that this mother does talk about that stuff, always has and that at least two boys will be aware of stuff. I wish that more folk were more informative towards their children.

(At least you got a leaflet,...I am still waiting for my Mother to have "the conversation" with me!!)

workshy Fri 23-Sep-11 00:15:27

was wondering lol

Ingles2 Fri 23-Sep-11 00:22:18

At our school, they do a talk in the summer of yr 5, and another in more depth the summer of yr 6.
I think yr 5 is about the right age for a class discussion,.. obviously your dd is old in the year and nearing puberty, but there will be much younger and much more immature children in yr 5 as well.

workshy Fri 23-Sep-11 00:27:49

but my 7 year old knows just as much, puberty is a fact of life and anyone who has had to take a toddler into a public toilet has surely been asked plenty of questions

(usually in a very loud voice for all of the people in the other 19 cubicals to hear lol)

LittlePushka Fri 23-Sep-11 00:32:35

This is a direct quote from a three year old in said public lavatory:

..." mam, what is that white string for?"

"son, you know what its for"

" No I dont, I know what the blue string is for, that one is white..."

(I'd say that was as matter of fact as I could have wished for workshy!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now