eg:
1x5=5
2x5=10
3x5=15 etc etc

Now they seem to be taught:
5x1=5
5x2=10
5x3=15

Does anyone know why it has changed? I'm sure it doesn't really matter, just interested about the theory behind change? I find it much harder to do the new way (I note Percy Parker does it the old way (but then he is 84 years old!)).

howtocalmachild Thu 22-Sep-11 23:08:02

lol about Percy being 84 - did you also know he eats 3 meals a day! As soon as that man is mentioned the songs start going in my head ahhhhhh. I'm in trouble now because it's near bedtime and I won't be able to block it out. smile

millyrainbow Thu 22-Sep-11 23:24:24

It hasn't changed! You were taught the correct way and it is still the correct way.
Think of multiples of 5 as "groups of 5":
1 group of 5, 2 groups of 5, 3 groups of 5 etc

If you do it the other way it doesn't make sense:
5 groups of 1, 5 groups of 2, 5 lots of 3 etc

I hope I've explained it clearly, end of a long day!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Sep-11 23:32:06

>If you do it the other way it doesn't make sense:
5 groups of 1, 5 groups of 2, 5 lots of 3 etc

well, it does make sense because multiplication is commutative, but t'other way round is more obvious!

millyrainbow Fri 23-Sep-11 00:01:07

It is commutative and it is important to teach children this, but when you are learning a table such as times 5, 1 x 5, 2 x 5 etc are the 5 times table, but 5 x 1 is the 1 times table. It is about helping children to understand exactly what multiplication is; groups of a specific number

dilbertina Fri 23-Sep-11 06:31:47

Right, well then I shall demand answers from teacher about why she thinks she knows better than Percy!

howtocalmachild Just add a zero, just add a zero, just add zero if you want to times by ten....! I must admit it is normally me waving my arms in the air with Percy in the car whilst my children stare out the window in disgust.

DeWe Fri 23-Sep-11 12:11:46

And my dc replies: "But if I add zero then I get the same number!"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: