eg:
1x5=5
2x5=10
3x5=15 etc etc

Now they seem to be taught:
5x1=5
5x2=10
5x3=15

Does anyone know why it has changed? I'm sure it doesn't really matter, just interested about the theory behind change? I find it much harder to do the new way (I note Percy Parker does it the old way (but then he is 84 years old!)).

howtocalmachild Thu 22-Sep-11 23:08:02

lol about Percy being 84 - did you also know he eats 3 meals a day! As soon as that man is mentioned the songs start going in my head ahhhhhh. I'm in trouble now because it's near bedtime and I won't be able to block it out. smile

millyrainbow Thu 22-Sep-11 23:24:24

It hasn't changed! You were taught the correct way and it is still the correct way.
Think of multiples of 5 as "groups of 5":
1 group of 5, 2 groups of 5, 3 groups of 5 etc

If you do it the other way it doesn't make sense:
5 groups of 1, 5 groups of 2, 5 lots of 3 etc

I hope I've explained it clearly, end of a long day!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Sep-11 23:32:06

>If you do it the other way it doesn't make sense:
5 groups of 1, 5 groups of 2, 5 lots of 3 etc

well, it does make sense because multiplication is commutative, but t'other way round is more obvious!

millyrainbow Fri 23-Sep-11 00:01:07

It is commutative and it is important to teach children this, but when you are learning a table such as times 5, 1 x 5, 2 x 5 etc are the 5 times table, but 5 x 1 is the 1 times table. It is about helping children to understand exactly what multiplication is; groups of a specific number

dilbertina Fri 23-Sep-11 06:31:47

Right, well then I shall demand answers from teacher about why she thinks she knows better than Percy!

howtocalmachild Just add a zero, just add a zero, just add zero if you want to times by ten....! I must admit it is normally me waving my arms in the air with Percy in the car whilst my children stare out the window in disgust.

DeWe Fri 23-Sep-11 12:11:46

And my dc replies: "But if I add zero then I get the same number!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now