Talk

Advanced search

Not being told of accidents

(16 Posts)
diggingintheribs Thu 22-Sep-11 19:52:44

DS fell off a climbing frame today. I know this because he was covered in dirt and had a few bruises. He landed on his head and elbow. He claims he fell from the top. Of course he is in reception so I am not taking his word as the whole truth!

The teacher did not mention this and as far as I know there is no accident book. So I don't know what happened and have to take DS' word for it.

He has come back with stickers before because he hurt himself and was brave but no details sent by school.

I'm concerned that I wasn't informed of a head injury (and potentially a poke in the eye yesterday!).

Would I be precious to mention this?

mrz Thu 22-Sep-11 19:54:47

Did he tell the teacher? If not it is quite possible the teacher is unaware which is why you weren't informed.

diggingintheribs Thu 22-Sep-11 19:58:37

well he told me the teaching assistant comforted him so an appropriate adult did know

Should schools have some form of accident book in place? I have no idea how he hurt himself but I am keeping an eye on him as per the head injury advice just in case!

diggingintheribs Thu 22-Sep-11 19:59:31

(and i apologise for my thread title reading in such a jarring way!)

Fairenuff Thu 22-Sep-11 21:07:46

Our school has an accident/illness book to record the injury and treatment. Letters are always sent home if the child has a bump to the head or if the injury is more serious than a scrape or bump. Otherwise, the teacher or TA will usually let the adult know verbally when they collect. If it's minor, (no marks on the child) it would not normally be mentioned to parents.

festi Thu 22-Sep-11 21:10:16

he may not have told the teaching assistant what had actually happened.

diggingintheribs Thu 22-Sep-11 21:36:39

I'm sure he may not have done but he has scratches on his face so it was obvious he'd landed there (and his ear was full of dirt where he'd obviously hit the ground). And DS is normally very happy to tell people about his 'ow's'!

Maybe I'll jusy ask the teacher tomorrow for clarification of how far he fell and then just see where we go from there

kid Thu 22-Sep-11 21:45:40

I work in a school and accidents (other than minor scrapes) are recorded on an accident form, a copy is sent home to the parent the same day and a copy is placed in a file.
For head injuries, a phonecall home is made to inform the parent and a 'head injury what to look out for' form is sent home with the child.

I'd definitely mention it to the teacher/TA tomorrow. Your DS may have told them but they brushed it off, or he may not have told them exactly what happened. Either way, there is no harm in letting them know. They must have a procedure to follow and if he did tell them what happened, they didn't follow the correct procedure.

grubbalo Thu 22-Sep-11 22:16:06

Not quite as serious but DS1 (just started reception, and normally a major drama queen, well at least with me!) came home with scraped knees today. Nothing too bad but it must have hurt and would normally have needed several plasters and major attention. Anyway I asked him who had looked after him and he said that no-one had, he'd wanted to be brave and hadn't needed anyone else. They seem to be pathetically young before they realise being made a fuss of is a Bad Thing in public - so I wonder if your son has been the same?

Hope he's all ok now.

EdithWeston Thu 22-Sep-11 22:20:08

It might be worth checking up, just on the blow to the head. That's something that parents should be informed about, as it is relevant should the child become unusually drowsy later in the day.

acatcalledfelix Thu 22-Sep-11 22:23:59

DS's nursery always calls me straight away if he hurts his head or face in any way, even just minor scrapes, and has an accident form it uses for ALL accidents, which I will always get a copy of. I assumed that this was OFSTED rules?

whenIgetto3 Thu 22-Sep-11 22:25:55

we never get letters home at our school. DS last year used to come out every other day and say my teachers says I am to tell you I did X today and you need to watch me. Only once did I get called in and that was when he was found out cold on the floor of the toilet with blood coming out of his head. Then after taking him to A&E and being glued back together I phoned school to say he was having the rest of the week off as he had a serious concussion and could they tell me what he actually did as he had no recall of it I got a lecture from the HT over the phone that they were not responsible for my accident prone child who was a health and safety issue. Think they were worried I was going to sue them as it turned out there were 4 boys messing about in the toilets and DS head got shut in the door the other 3 ran away and left him worried they would be in trouble shock

Hope your DS is OK now. Sure they would tell you if they felt it was bad, it is a shock going from pre school where every tiny scratch needs an accident form signing to school where they note it down but don't inform you

Hulababy Thu 22-Sep-11 22:26:53

I work in an infant school. We complete a brief accident book for ALL accidents and injuries, howeevr small. We also complete bump notes for bangs to the head. The bump note is the only thing sent home though. We don't send copies of any home. Unless it was a big fall/imjury we would be less likely to tell parents though, so many accidents happen every day it'd be a full time job.

whenIgetto3 Thu 22-Sep-11 22:41:03

Our old school had stickers that they stuck on children when they were hurt with different ones for head injuries. I asked the new school about it (as it is simple and not that time consuming) they said that my DS would be collecting them, I was also asked if I could provide new band aids as he had used the schools supply in a 3 week period. blush

diggingintheribs Fri 23-Sep-11 11:07:27

whenIgettothree - that's really shocking!

He's come home pretty much everyday with a sticker for being brave. He will always tell the teacher if he hurts himself even if he doesn't cry as he is a big believer in plasters being a fix all!

I only care about the bumps to the head. There are things to watch out for. If he had vomited in the night I may well have put it down to a bug when in reality i should be taking him to A&E.

Anyway, I mentioned it to the teacher. She knew he had fallen but said she could find out the details. i said it didn't matter now but in future I think it's important that they let us know about head injuries as the child will need monitoring.

I know they can only tell us what they know but I feel better for having said something

(DS is fine btw!)

cat64 Fri 23-Sep-11 15:04:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now