Talk

Advanced search

where should we move to within north of london - bucks/herts...for good schools and better life? bushey???

(12 Posts)
emmapi Thu 22-Sep-11 15:34:14

we currently live in north watford with our 2 1/2 year old daughter on lovely residential road with "outstanding" primary school a stone's throw away. BUT, watford is, a bit chavvy/towny...just when our daughter gets to secondary school age we dont want her thinking peroxiding her hair and wearing fake tan are her aims in life!! im exaggerating, and we are really happy in watford...cant afford to move to st albans or berkhamsted, but can anyone recommend where might be a 2nd best (need to be able to commute within 50 mins to milton keynes, 30 mins to heathrow airport and 20 min max walk from train into london)...bricket wood seems too small/boring as does croxley green, bushey is no. 1 on list at the moment...but its 100k more for THE SAME HOUSE IN BUSHEY!!! but we want our daughter to have the best neighbourhood we can afford (i grew up in bit rough area of london so want better for her), please help!! what is bushey like?? is it worth movign to, 100k more but is it really a lot nicer area, i dont know it...

clam Thu 22-Sep-11 20:17:37

I sat having a coffee in Berkhamsted High Street just yesterday, watching a fair few Collegiate girls ambling past with orange legs.

Just saying...

megapixels Fri 23-Sep-11 15:11:48

Stay where you are and send her to WGGS. Or are the girls who go there orange too?

lizzieloubee1 Fri 23-Sep-11 15:54:29

Aylesbury is nice, bit further away from Heathrow though. It has Grammar schoools which are very good

emmapi Sun 23-Oct-11 15:53:58

thanks for the advice, i should just say im not bothered by orange legs...i just want our daughter to grow up somewhere where hopefully girls have higher aspirations than what they look like :-) thanks

bigTillyMint Sun 23-Oct-11 17:41:40

The most obviously body-conscious girls round our way are the ones at the £££ 100% A*/A girls private school grin

Tgger Sun 23-Oct-11 19:35:48

Hello!
Come to Tring! It's cheaper than Berkhamsted and very nice, well that's MHO grin.

Tgger Sun 23-Oct-11 19:51:21

Tring is small though- just read your post, maybe too small for you? Stay in Watford if you like it.

bodiddly Sun 23-Oct-11 20:57:41

Potters Bar? I haven't seen toooo many orange legs!

lovebeingmum Sun 23-Oct-11 20:59:37

Hertford is lovely .....

Ellefabulosa Sun 23-Oct-11 21:14:53

Where you live wont make any difference to her aspirations I don't think. How you bring her up, her education and her friends will shape her life. There are some excellent schools within catchment of Watford wggs parmiters etc so based on your comments I wouldn't bother moving.

Babelange Sun 23-Oct-11 22:53:45

Hmm. You need to think a bit longer term (secondary schools). The statistics on http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10227 show that you could get a distance place (<1000m) from Watford Grammar School for Girls in Watford. Most of the desirable local secondary schools are in the SW Herts Consortium and entry is by score/distance. I am just going through this and only our 3rd choice is a school within walking distance - if DS1 gets one of the other choices we are considering moving towards Croxley Green to help with the school journey which will take longer than getting into London! I know Bushey well - 2nd house here; characterful, great views, nice park and library... I'll miss it. What exactly do you need to know? BTW ages ago, an estate agent told us that there are only two places worth buying in Watford; Cassiobury and Nascot Wood... Have you considered Chorleywood? Bushey Heath? Watford is great place for teenagers - lots of Saturday jobs and as all teenagers are aliens, I don't think there is a way to predict a preference for orange legs. Depends on you, really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now