Talk

Advanced search

Has your DC's primary school become an academy?

(6 Posts)
LullyBiff Thu 22-Sep-11 14:40:22

We've had a letter home informing us that our DC's school is 'exploring the possibility' of becoming an academy and are holding meetings about it. I'm told this pretty much means they have already decided to but have to be seen to consult the parents.

Has this happened at your DC's school, and has it made any difference as far as you can tell? I feel a bit unsure on this subject because the idea of giving more power to HTs is a bit unsettling. If any problems are not sorted out within school, who is the next authority to turn to if not the LEA anymore?

The letter states that nothing will change in the school's admissions policy and attitude towards SEN children, but if they are no longer answerable to anyone, how do parents know that this is actually true?

IndigoBell Thu 22-Sep-11 15:06:12

I wouldn't assume it's a done deal. It is a very complicated decision, and it may or may not have been decided yet.

Why do you have faith in your current LEA? Have they actually been any good at sorting out problems so far? What do you actually know about them?

Why don't you have faith in your HT and governing body?

Schools really don't have much choice over whether to change or not. In fact Lincolnshire has asked all it's schools to convert. The main reason schools are converting as because they would be at a disadvantage to stay with the LEA.

Honestly, nothing has to change - besides administrative stuff like who does the payroll.

munstersmum Thu 22-Sep-11 16:11:41

Don't know of any primary schools who have changed but a few secondary schools have.

Not sure if it's more power to the HT or the governors?

hophophippidtyhop Fri 23-Sep-11 11:51:22

Dd's school has just become an academy this year. She has only just started reception, I was told it means they will have a bit more freedom to spend their budget where they think it is needed. It is a good school, so although I'm only 3 weeks in, I have faith in it at the moment.

ASByatt Fri 23-Sep-11 11:53:22

Hmm Inigo I find yours quite a rosy view of Academy status, and not one shared by the SENCos of the academies that I know.

ASByatt Fri 23-Sep-11 11:53:44

Apologies, 'Indigo' of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now