Talk

Advanced search

DS Having Problems with a Classmate

(3 Posts)
chillikate Thu 22-Sep-11 12:54:15

I'm sorry _ i always swore I'd never post one of this type of questions, but now mt DS is having problems I just need advice.

DS started at Reception last Tuesday. Last Thursday he came home and said he'd been told off for throwing a toy but he only did it because a boy was annoying him. I told him that throwing toys was not acceptable in any situation and that if this boy annoyed him again walk away or tell the teacher / TA. What it appears this boy was doing was following him around and copying / mimicing what he is saying.

Heard nothing more on Friday or Monday. On Tuesday night DS came home & complained he was still doing it. I said we'd talk about it last night (but I forgot, bad Mummy).

I dropped him off this morning and he was so clingy. I asked him what he anted to do and he said the most boring thing ever so that other boy doesn't want to follow or copy him.

I had always thought I wouldn't get involved in these sorts of conflicts but its so hard when its obviously affecting him. Do I butt out, or make the teacher aware its happening??

DS has my temperament. He will tolerate and awful lot, but then snap (like he did on Thursday). It worries me that he might find himself in trouble over this.

Pancakeflipper Thu 22-Sep-11 13:07:17

Don't worry too much about this or overthink it... It's annoying but just keep chatting to your son about it so he knows he can tell you and you can give him methods on how to handle this. There is a kid in my son's class who was limpet like when they were in reception. Drove my son bonkers.

Things change in reception class. It's currently all new to them all, they have a lot of playtime at the moment, gradually more structured learning with the play will be introduced and the opportunity to follow reduced.

They will make friendship groups and the other kids will find others to play with and they also grow up and behaviours change.

It's early days so I would keep the lines of communication open between you and your boy so you know what is going on ( at least your son's version of events). And when it's parents evening (probably in Nov?) you can casually raise it then?

IndigoBell Thu 22-Sep-11 13:50:46

I would speak to the teacher about it. She is probably aware that there is a problem, and she'll be able to tell you what she plans to do to change things smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now