Talk

Advanced search

am i wrong to wish dds teacher was stricter?

(8 Posts)
bounceyball Thu 22-Sep-11 10:14:06

I know my dd is getting away with talking to her friends and not fully Knuckling down to her work in class. Teacher doesn't think there is a problem though as she still does pretty good work. Am i being pushy to wish the teacher was stricter? I know my dd could do much more than she currently is. She is in year 2.

IndigoBell Thu 22-Sep-11 11:18:04

YABVU.

She is in Y2. It doesn't matter if she doesn't do her best all the time. It really, really doesn't.

MrsGravy Thu 22-Sep-11 11:29:51

How do you know this for sure? And how do you know how much work she is doing in class and what standard it is?

I wouldn't expect a year 2 class to be working in silence anyway, they tend to work in groups and chat to each other from what my yr 2 DD's teacher has told me.

bounceyball Thu 22-Sep-11 11:47:42

Thanks for your replies. I feel like i am getting things out of perspective a bit. I saw her work books at school the other day and there was quite a lot of barely started pieces of work. When i asked her why she said it was because she was talking to her friends as she doesn't have long enough at play time! When she does homework at home on her own with no distractions she easily write pages in 20 mins.

CustardCake Thu 22-Sep-11 12:13:50

I disagree actually. My DD is a lively member of the class and had a lax nice teacher last year. She's having a miserable time this year with a super strict teacher who pulls her up on everything. If last year's teacher had at least insisted on a few basic rules (like not chatting with your mates all day), DD would't have had such a shock, would be more able to control her chattiness in a class situation and wouldn't find it so miserable this year. It isn't good for them to get away with this even if their standard of work is good.

MrsGravy Thu 22-Sep-11 12:40:59

Bounceyball, I wouldn't take her word for it! Have a chat with the teacher if you're really worried but there could be plenty of other reasons for those barely started pieces of work.

bounceyball Thu 22-Sep-11 12:59:31

Had a quick word with the teacher who is happy about everything, including quantity of work. I am worried this is because she is above average so teacher knows she will do ok this year anyway. I just want her to reach her full potential as well as learning a bit of discipline to learn as well if you see what i mean. I feel i can't really say anything else to teacher though without seeming neurotic.

MurunBuchstansangur Thu 22-Sep-11 13:05:51

I don't think you are going to be able to do anything.

The teacher is not going to change her style because of you being 'pushy' is she?

I think I would be thinking the same as you, but I don't know what I would do about it. I think it is good that she likes school, and is able to do the work. If you want to 'push' her outside of school then that would be up to you.

DS brings his book with no words in back from reception. I still have him reading other things and practising handwriting at home even if they are not ready for that at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now