Talk

Advanced search

I'm doing maths GCSE but struggling with all the basic KS2 stuff- HELP ME.

(12 Posts)
PippiLongBottom Thu 22-Sep-11 10:08:11

I'm doing an english degree and got a first in my first year, so that is great, I am good at English. Maths, pah, I am shite.

I want to teach English and unfortunately to do this I need my maths GCSE. The thing is I am really struggling with the basics. I think it comes down to me not knowing my times tables. What is the best way for me to learn them? Should I buy/look online for maths help for kids? DD is in year 5 and is ahead of me on most of this, I don't really want to ask her for help as she isn't equipped to teach me and it will end in tears.

PotatoSkins Thu 22-Sep-11 10:10:42

An excellent place to learn is www.conquermaths.com

They do everything in bite size lessons either by subscribing online or buying the disc. It will cover everything up to gcse.

There are other sites or discs you can get, but I recommend this one as I have personal experience of it.

You can do it smile

Tcanny Thu 22-Sep-11 10:15:25

Pippi

I dont know what city you live in but I have just completed a maths course arranged through one of our local colleges. In Leicester at least there are many courses starting at the very basics and working right the way up.

If I can be of any assistance to you please dont hesitate to message me

PippiLongBottom Thu 22-Sep-11 10:23:47

Tcanny: Thanks, I am in Manchester and doing the course in the evening at my local college. It is mixed ability adult leaners, mostly doing the intermediate paper, but some of them are younger and generally better! Thanks for your offer, I will message you if neccessary smile

Potato: I will have a look at that now. Then buy a times table wall chart grin.

All my efforts are going into my degree so it is really difficult to find any enthusiasm or space in my brain. I am doing my degree full time and also have three kids and work evenings. I think at some point I may just collapse.

PotatoSkins Thu 22-Sep-11 10:26:43

For basic maths you could try the woodlands school website. They have tons of exercises which would build your confidence before you move onto ks3. Also try bbc bitesize maths for ks2. There are loads of places, you could print some off from www.worksheetworks.com and practice those too.

PippiLongBottom Thu 22-Sep-11 10:30:17

I'll just do DD's homework grin.

Thanks Potato, I'll check that out.

witchwithallthetrimmings Thu 22-Sep-11 10:39:13

for times tables the key is practice I think, so the best things to do make a grid 10 rows and 10 columns. Label the rows 1-10 and the columns 1-10. Then put the answer to 1x1 in the first row of the first column, 3x3 in the third row of the third column. Fill up the table.

The first thing you will see is how much of the table you can do without thinking; the second thing is you will begin to be reminded of long forgotten rules or patterns, and the last thing is you will begin to practice the "harder ones", 6s and 7s

redo the grid a couple of times until you just know that 6 x7 = 7x6 = 42

best
amanda

PippiLongBottom Thu 22-Sep-11 10:44:04

Wow! thats a great practical suggestion, thanks witch, I'll do that in a bit. Ooh you are all so helpful to a thick bint. wink

wigglybeezer Thu 22-Sep-11 10:47:46

I have just taken out a book from the library "Carol Vorderman's Help your kids with maths" Dorling Kindersley. I am going to buy a copy, it uses a visual approach and covers everything DS1 will be doing over the next couple of years.

Loads of people struggle to remember times tables, even some mathematicians.

Sam100 Thu 22-Sep-11 10:50:38

Also try the book "maths for mums and dads" - this breaks down the key learning points and explains where children (or adults) struggle with some of the conceptual ideas that underpin basic maths.

My dd's favourite way of remembering 8x8 is "I ate (8) and (x) ate (8) and was sick on the floor (=64)!

PippiLongBottom Thu 22-Sep-11 10:51:55

I think I am a visual learner so those books sound great. Thanks smile

Changebagsandgladrags Thu 22-Sep-11 13:30:53

I am crap on times tables (I have a degree in Maths)

I don't bother with 6, 4 or 8 anymore as for those I do

4 times: 2x2x whatever
8 times:2x2X2x whatever
6 times: 3x2x whatever

Because I am OK doubling things.

So 8 times 7 would be

double 7=14
double 14 = 28
double 28 = 56

(for the doubling 28 I think, well 28 is near 30 and that is easy to double, I had to add 2 onto 28 to get to thirty so I need to take away double that, so four) 60-4=56

I can do it in my head and I am not limited to the times table, I could d0 4x15 if I wanted, or 6x21 or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now