Talk

Advanced search

Miserable reception teacher

(6 Posts)
weddingseason Thu 22-Sep-11 08:56:32

Can I just ask if your child's class is a happy bustling place in the mornings when you drop off? Am starting to think DD's teacher might be depressed as she barely even looks up from her desk when she arrives which makes a mockery of me telling DD how pleased Miss X will be to see her and how much fun they're going to have today.

Just wondered how other people's mornings go?

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 22-Sep-11 09:01:16

I had the same experience in Switzerland. DDs teacher was so withdrawn and miserable looking that I despaired.
I wasn't the only one. All the mums (and Dads) voiced the same thought. she seemed to lack any spark whatsoever.
DD and the other children adored her. She was just painfully shy with adults but fabulous with the children.

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 22-Sep-11 11:49:11

Have also had experience of teachers who seem dull and dry to the parents, but children really like - what does your dd say? Not a lot I'm guessing if she's only in reception, but I would try to be a bit wary of rushing to judge her.

Sometimes a big response when they go into the classroom at that age can be a bit daunting for a young child - maybe experience has shown the teacher that it's better if the children can just come in and go about putting away their book bag etc and it's quicker to get settled down? What is the classroom routine? Pick an activity from the shelf? A drawing sheet on the table?

mymumdom Thu 22-Sep-11 11:51:10

There is a teacher at our school like this. Seems dreadfully dry and never smiles at the parents but the kids love her. 2 of my gilrs have had her and they've progressed well in her class.
What does your DD say about her teacher?

yellowsubmarine41 Thu 22-Sep-11 14:30:57

There was a worker like this at my kids' nursery. The parents all used to tut and moan about her but the kids ADORED her. Every single one of them.

I spent a morning in the room over the summer and she was lovely with the children. Just not a chatty type and not into drawn out discussions with parents unless necessary/scheduled.

Dozer Thu 22-Sep-11 14:46:46

Agree with the others - maybe she's fab with the kids. Or if not, maybe she's just calm and quietly authoritative. (Or just miserable, poor woman if so).

Don't think the approach of telling kids how much fun they're going to have at school is ideal. It's for them to decide whether it's fun or not, and if they're not enjoying it, it's just extra pressure and sounds hollow. Prefer the "it's what kids have to do, will have good bits and bad bits, just have to get on with it" line!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now