Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you go away to the states without your children for 8 nights?

(25 Posts)
cabbagesoup Wed 21-Sep-11 23:10:35

We have this opportunity to go to the states with my husbands business and I'm dithering - It's a long time to leave the little ones with my parents -But they have offered - Has anyone done this or have advice for why I'm ditheing at such a fantastic chance.

MaeMobley Wed 21-Sep-11 23:12:35

I am going away for that amount of time next year. Kids are 7 and 5.

MaeMobley Wed 21-Sep-11 23:13:34

How old are yours? Have your parents experience of looking after them?

said Wed 21-Sep-11 23:14:20

What are their ages? I know I couldn't but that's because I hate flying so flying without children cranks up the anxiety for me. No reason, in principle, why you shouldn't go though

BluddyMoFo Wed 21-Sep-11 23:14:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MagicFingerGoesPop Wed 21-Sep-11 23:14:53

No. But I am a wuss.

meditrina Wed 21-Sep-11 23:20:16

Oh yes! Please!!!!!!!

Seriously, leaving children with GPs for a week is absolutely fine. They'll have a blast and you'll enjoy having a few days of being an unshackled grown up.

Downnotout Wed 21-Sep-11 23:22:50

Yes.
We had the opportunity to go on a number of overseas conferences when DS and DD1 were little.
DH and I really relished the time together as a couple and the children didn't suffer because of it.
If you are lucky enough to have good family/ friends around you to take care of your children... Why not?
You can phone them before bedtime every night and SKYPE is very useful if you don 't want to do the full 8 days without them seeing you.
There aren't many places you can't get back from within a few hours if you really had to.
Personally we had no problems.

Dozer Thu 22-Sep-11 15:08:17

Bring back lots of good presents, that's all they'll remember later!

(I know, that's what mine did.)

dearheart Thu 22-Sep-11 19:33:24

I wouldn't. I'd hate being so far away and not being able to get back quickly if something happened.

ShutchaBoat Thu 22-Sep-11 19:36:44

Yep, done it several times. A week-ish is my limit, though.

MogandMe Thu 22-Sep-11 19:42:49

My boss works away a lot and recently did a week in the states away from the 3 year old.

TBH the 3 year old hardly noticed she was gone once we'd done her usual routines and outings.

funnypeculiar Thu 22-Sep-11 19:43:21

I would - our parents often have the kids for 4-5 days over half terms, & whilst I'd be slightly twitchy about being so far away, it wouldn't be enough to stop me taking the opportunity.
Have your parents had them for that length of time before?

Redumbdancy Thu 22-Sep-11 19:47:03

I would too, my eldest 2 spent a week with GPs when we went on honeymoon and we're hopefully off to Krakow for a 4 days in December and all 3 are being cared for by Grandma (assuming all goes to plan - which it isn't at the minute!)

Collision Thu 22-Sep-11 19:48:40

oh gosh yes please...........

let me know when the flights are and I will be there.

wonders-who-would-EVER-offer-to-be-so-lovely-to-have-my-boys-for-that-long

sparkle12mar08 Thu 22-Sep-11 19:50:08

In a hearbeat...

NickNacks Thu 22-Sep-11 19:50:10

I did!

For our honeymoon, and at the time our Ds's were 6 and 3 and we went for 10 nights.

<Bad mum emoticon>

MissBeehiving Thu 22-Sep-11 19:51:07

Is this a trick question? <narrows eyes> <packs bags>

RedBlanket Thu 22-Sep-11 19:52:41

I can be packed within the hour.

Longest I've done is 3 days, no problems, the DCs gas a great time with granny.

caramelwaffle Thu 22-Sep-11 19:52:46

Yes.

SheCutOffTheirTails Thu 22-Sep-11 19:52:54

I did that this year and mine are 3 and 1. Although I left them with DH, so I guess that is a big different.

But if your parents are used to minding them and they are used to being with your parents - DO IT! grin

Iteotwawki Thu 22-Sep-11 20:05:09

No, I wouldn't. But my children are 5 and 3 which I think is too young.

I have had to work away from home for a week and left them with my husband but I think that is slightly different.

I would either take them with me or go once they are older.

sunnyday123 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:06:02

no i couldnt - ive never left mine for more than one night and they're 6 and 4! I dont think there's anything wrong with it though especially if they are used to breaks with the grandparents. Although several years ago we took my nephew away for a week when he was 8 and he was awful and really missed his mum (slightly different situation but still a break). He was such a confident kid so we were shocked and surprised buy his reaction. As long as you think they would be comfortable away from you that long then go. Personally i know mine are obsessed with their GPs but when i go to get them the next day they can't wait to get home.

BsshBossh Thu 22-Sep-11 20:29:32

We went for 7 nights to the States when DD (3) was 10 months and we're going again next month. First time DD's beloved grandma stayed in our house and looked after her; this time grandma's coming again.

Groovee Thu 22-Sep-11 20:30:25

I went for 6 days to NY without the children and they were fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now