Talk

Advanced search

my good 5 year old bullied by the teacher

(19 Posts)
198 Wed 21-Sep-11 19:23:24

My little girl is in year 1 and is young in the year. I know she is a good girl and has never been in trouble before.

The teacher she has this year has been at the school for a number of years, and i have not heard any complaints about him, but I find his behaviour unsuitable for that age groups development.

If he feels the class has been noisy he makes everyone miss playtime, even children who wernt involved and threatens them with statements like
"if one more person makes a sound then everyone will stay in" Then when someone does make a sound they all miss out.

Today a few children came out crying and my daughter came out very upset. She said that they had missed the morning play because two boys had been talking, then after lunch when they had been told to work quietly, she talked to the boy next to her. The teacher said they then all had to miss afternoon play as well and made all the children in the class repeat after him

"Thank you E.... for making us miss our play"

I have two problems with this firstly the humiliation, she said she was just asking the boy a question, and forgot she was working quietly. I think for a five year old that is quite reasonable, and a reminder would have been adequate.

Also the whole class being told off for one childs behaviour is not right. I think that this is inappropriate as that age group is unable to think of a group, they just think about themselves. They talk because they are bored, or stuck, or not thinking, they dont think about the class.

I want to brinjg it up with him tomorrow, but I need advice. Does anyone know what age children start to think as a group?

littleducks Wed 21-Sep-11 19:26:58

So the childrem had no playtime at all today? It is no wonder they are getting difficult to control if they have no time to run around and let off steam.

My dd is finding the transistion to yr1 a bit tough but the school is trying to manange that, I think they definately need a break at that age.

coccyx Wed 21-Sep-11 19:27:43

That is awful. I would see him and the Head. My daughter is a young year 1 and would be mortified and scared of him.

DooinMeCleanin Wed 21-Sep-11 19:30:06

I would certainly approach the school, but would be wary of going in all guns blazing. 5 yr olds are prone to exaggerating and being, shall we say, imaginative?

Obviously something has happened that has upset her, but I highly doubt it's what she has told you.

hocuspontas Wed 21-Sep-11 19:35:37

Not sure why she needed another reminder, they had already been told to work quietly, but it does sound a bit draconian for year 1. Maybe the teacher is just making sure that when he says something he means it. And agree, find out what actually happened this time and what generally happens when they 'miss playtime'. It's unusual for a teacher to keep children in for the whole playtime usually not more than 5 minutes.

stabbystabbykillkill Wed 21-Sep-11 19:40:49

This happened in my DS school - but it was secondary school and to do with an activity where there had been bad behaviour by some children and all the team were to be punished and had stinking letters sent home.

The Head was a big chicken had a few issues with my direct manner.

However, the punishment for the not-involved kids was rescinded when I told him that I would write to the local paper pointing out that all the teachers at the school were crap - since they all work as a team as well wink and if it was OK to make sweeping generalizations about the kids who were acting as a team then I could do the same about the teachers.

198 Wed 21-Sep-11 19:45:25

i phoned another mother with a daughter in the class and asked her to ask what had happened without my prompting and she came back with the same story.

stabbystabbykillkill Wed 21-Sep-11 19:47:30

I would go in and speak to the teacher and see what he says

blackeyedsusan Wed 21-Sep-11 20:03:35

hocus pontus, they needed another reminder because they are 5. it is unrealistic to expect 5 year olds to work for a whole session without talking. he should be praising the groups/ childrern that are working well.

has he just moved year group from year5 or 6?

firrstly, I would find out if other children have told their parents the same thing, and also find out the teacherrs version of what happened. they may have only missed a couple of minutes playtime. if you are not happy with the response you could consider talking to the head.

muffinflop Wed 21-Sep-11 20:18:20

'Not sure why she needed another reminder, they had already been told to work quietly' Really hocus pontus??? They're 5!! They've just gone from reception where it's still a lot of play and conversations and you think one warning to be quiet is ok?

I'd go in and ask what actually happened OP. I would be surprised if they'd missed the whole of playtime just for one child talking when they shouldn't have been - if it IS true then it's not on

SoupDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 20:22:02

How is this bullying?

pointythings Wed 21-Sep-11 20:54:29

SoupDragon - it isn't bullying, but it is very poor, lazy discipline. A good teacher should not have to resort to collective punishment to control a class, and teaching well-behaved children that they will be punished for the sins of others is going to make a good few of them wonder why they should bother to behave well and try hard.

Mum2be79 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:38:56

Year 1 being told to work quietly????????

Is that possible????? Seriously, I teach Y1 and there is NEVER a quiet moment (except carpet time). 5 minutes to us is like 20 minutes to them!!! My lot come in after playtime and ask "Is it lunchtime yet?"

pointythings is right - lazy discipline. Even with my back turned, I can spot the identity of a silly voice and even when I can't I have a class of 23 who always joyfully point the finger! grin

festi Wed 21-Sep-11 22:48:09

i would call it bullying, singling out for humiliating, miss use of power, intimidation. yes it is bullying.

these kids are 5 years old, im shoced anyone would expect them to work quietly. some dont quite understand the concept of work let alone quiet.

grubbalo Thu 22-Sep-11 09:27:42

It's appallingly lazy discipline and this is a rare instance where I would be furious and wanting to talk to the headteacher.

If there is any tiny bit of a positive in thus, it is that you are actually able to ask why the whole class should be punished as a result of something your daughter did (ie you're not discussing someone elses child).

Please keep us posted, good luck.

Bramshott Thu 22-Sep-11 09:41:01

This sounds like a shockingly poor way of keeping discipline in the classroom, and totally inappropriate for Y1. You need to discuss it with the school.

However, I would try to steer clear of accusations of bullying, or of saying that your DD is always good and never does anything wrong - a more balanced approach would probably get a better result.

snailoon Thu 22-Sep-11 09:45:12

Also shocking to get the class to use sarcasm "thank you ...etc". Very ugly of the teacher, and setting a horrible example.

pastawine Thu 22-Sep-11 10:10:05

I would establish the facts very calmly, and then make an appt with the head. Don't go in all guns blazing or you risk alienating the people who could help you sort it out- but be very firm in asking for an explanation. Is the head receptive? I had a similar issue with my ds when he was at nursery and the head just backed her teacher 100%, I moved him soon after.

robsy0786 Thu 13-Oct-11 17:44:55

my dd is in yr6and her teacher somewhat keeps picking on her.Her raffle ticket fell out of her tray so the teacher checked the number out and found out it was my dd.In front of the whole class she asked what length of punishment should this person get, some said 2 mins and some said 5 mins off her break time then she told them my dd name and start llaughing at her and rest of the class joined in.Second time my dd rubbed 1 inch off a drawing off the white board and the teacher announced to the whole class and wrote on the white board in big writing her name and again 5 mins off her playtime.The teacher hasnt punished anyone else like this and tends to overlook others mistakes. The question is should i approach her or the head?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now