Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else without a school place at all?

(5 Posts)
jintygeorge Tue 20-Sep-11 22:27:50

I am without a school place for my 4yo DD and having NO JOY with the local council at all. In desperation I have set up a website and would love to hear from anyone else in the same situation. Do please get in touch if you are also fighting for a school place, perhaps there is something to be said for strength in numbers. Here it is: noschoolplace.wordpress.com/

AmyQ Thu 22-Sep-11 12:36:00

I am not experiencing this issue first hand, but we have several if not tens of cases like this in Buckinghamshire. A starting place, if you have not already tried will be to speak to your local councillor/MP. They should be able to help get your daughter a place and can also raise a freedom of information request to find out how many other children in your area are in the same situation.
If you are in Bucks I will forward your WP site to the others smile

prh47bridge Thu 22-Sep-11 14:03:32

Anyone who still hasn't got a place in Reception should:

- Contact the Admissions Manager at their Local Authority giving them 7 days to come up with a place and threatening to refer the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman over their breach of the Admissions Code if they don't

- Appeal for their preferred schools on the basis that the LA is in breach of the Admissions Code. The fact that you have missed the deadline for appeals doesn't matter. You are still allowed to appeal and doing so may well prompt the LA to make an offer

mummymellymoo Thu 22-Sep-11 20:49:00

We're in Aylesbury, and I've only just managed to get my daughter in to Year 1 after not being able to get her a reception place when we moved in February. I've already met a mum at my son's pre-school who hasn't got a school place for her daughter. On my numerous phone calls to the council, it appeared we were by no means the only ones with no place. I think it's a case of too many new houses being built before the infrastructure is in place.

jintygeorge Fri 23-Sep-11 21:32:50

I am following prh47bridge's advice, which is so far proving effective although no school place yet. I am one of three mums in London fighting for a school place but would be delighted to hear from others elsewhere in the country. I do not believe there are enough places, not helped by a very opaque and inequitable allocation process. Do get in touch. www.noschoolplace.wordpress.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now