Talk

Advanced search

Head Lice

(7 Posts)
chillikate Tue 20-Sep-11 19:59:02

Just over a week into Reception DS has brought home a letter saying that a child in his class has headlice.

DS has very short hair so less to grab onto but I want to do the responsible thing and look out for them.

Hes not had them before. What do I do??? And is this amazing Nitty Gritty comb as amazing as it says it is??

Already use a headlice repellent (tea tree) shampoo on him.

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 20-Sep-11 21:16:14

Short answer - yes the Nitty Gritty comb is amazing! Get one, follow the instructions, get into the habit of using it every time you wash his hair.

Eveiebaby Tue 20-Sep-11 21:18:28

Yes - Nitty Gritty comb is wonderful a bit expensive but totally worth the money in my opinion!

anthonytrollopesrevenge Tue 20-Sep-11 22:41:46

It is great but I only use it when they actually catch the horrible things! But it has worked well and got rid of them quickly.

workshy Wed 21-Sep-11 00:43:12

you are looking for little white blobs stuck to the hair fairly close to the scalp, usually in the knape of the neck, behind the ears or around the front of his hairline (they can be everywhere but these are the most common areas)
or a little bug running merrily through their hair

I just got a metal tooth nit comb from boots and run it through my kids hair while they are in the bath -never had a major infestation but if all else fails get the hair straighteners out!

BlueberryPancake Wed 21-Sep-11 11:06:15

Yes the combs are called 'detector combs'. You put a small blob of conditionner and comb through. You should see the headlice on the comb, or I use a white flanel to wipe the comb and you will see the headlice on the flanel. If you do this once a week, you will be able to catch it before it gets too bad. As for the treatment, there are different options and products. My DSs have had headlice once and I used Hedrin Once, but many people use conditionner and nitty gritty comb. By the way, my husband who has very little hair had headlice too, but I didn't get any and I have long and very thick hair!

annoyingdevil Wed 21-Sep-11 12:07:29

We just had them, and the hedrin was rubbish, they were back within a week. Nitty gritty comb and condition - all lice/eggs obliterated in 10 mins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now