Talk

Advanced search

calling primary teachers...again...

(8 Posts)
HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 20-Sep-11 17:40:57

Probably should be on tes forum but you are all friendlier smile

Is there any way I can find out actual NC levels for science from a given school without asking them? I am guessing not especially as no SATs in science at KS2 any more.

Failing that can any of you guys give me some examples of what the range would ACTUALLY be at the end of yr6? I know that average is level 4, am writing an essay and would like to comment on range of abilities and thought that referring to NC levels would be something to reference it to.

TIA

spanieleyes Tue 20-Sep-11 18:13:19

I'm a year 5/6 teacher and the levels in my class at the end of last year ranged from a level 2 to a level 5.
50 % 0f my year 6's achieved level 5 and 50% level 4. They were a bright lot however! The year 5's less so, one was a level2, 10 level3 and 6 level4

mrz Tue 20-Sep-11 18:20:45

Science levels are reported as Teacher Assessment and are included in the league tables www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/primary_10.shtml

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 20-Sep-11 18:22:48

So with a very high proportion of pupils in a year 5 class with ieps due to sen if I was to use artistic licence I could say that the levels am range from level 2 to level 4 at beginning of yr5 that wouldn't be unrealistic....

spanieleyes Tue 20-Sep-11 19:45:57

Certainly not, that would be around the range I would expect, perhaps lower if there are children with significant SEN ( there will be classes where a child may still be working at P scales)

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 20-Sep-11 20:21:06

What would class significant SEN? This was obviously a mainstream school and AFAIK there were no physical disabilities 'just' Learning difficulties. one child was still working at phase 3 phonics. Not sure what sort of levels he was working.g at in other subjects....have only just thought about relating the range to NC levels and didn't think to ask when I was there.

mrz Tue 20-Sep-11 20:55:14

Being at phase 3 phonics might indicate SEN in literacy but not necessarily in other subjects

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 20-Sep-11 21:07:26

Thats what I meant when I said I didn't know what he was working at in other subjects.

Will go for a level 2- level 4 it will make the point I want to make...which (as I understand) is potentially 3 years 'learning difference' for want of a better phrase between the two levels?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now