Talk

Advanced search

ofsted report or key stage two league tables..

(3 Posts)
stella1w Mon 19-Sep-11 22:20:51

I must be very naive or else very sceptical.. but I can't help wondering how accurate ofsted reports are. the local school to me is "outstanding" but all my neighbours hate the headteacher and I wonder if she's the type who can talk the talk when inspectors are around and knows how to do well for ofsted without being a particularly good headteacher.
This school is only an infants school and the junior school where the pupils move to has below average KS2 results and is graded "satisfactory".
Should you pick a school on ofsted, KS2, or something else?

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 19-Sep-11 22:34:16

Visit first. Form your own judgement about ethos, atmosphere, quality of head teacher, happiness of children, facilities, expectations re homework etc, opportunities for extra-curricular stuff etc.

Then read Ofsted/results tables. Look especially at stuff about leadership, improvement year on year etc.

Unless there is something really worrying in Ofsted, go with your gut reaction.

(My opinion is based on having 2 children at a "satisfactory" school which seems pretty marvellous from where I'm standing grin)

blackeyedsusan Mon 19-Sep-11 23:05:38

it depends what areas are satisfactory and if any were good. we prioritised phse, and atmosphere of the school. we can make up for a lack of learning at home, but you can not compensate for unhappiness at school if the atmosphere/bullying/support is not right. and check out the toilets. very important to children are toilets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now