Talk

Advanced search

TA taking class

(9 Posts)
Mirrorball Mon 19-Sep-11 19:39:46

I know this has probably been done to death but I've not spoken to school yet and before I go in guns a blazing, is it normal for the TA to take a class (year one) - no teacher present?

I saw the teacher walking back to her car at around 1.30 and so asked my son if Miss X was there in the afternoon, he said no, Mrs Y (TA) was looking after us...

Any input/experience appreciated!

Thanks

laurz75 Mon 19-Sep-11 19:46:37

Depends on the school, level/experience of TA, circumstances. My school does occasionally use our (absolutely amazing) TA's for class cover. Don't go in guns a blazing - just ask!!!

BehindLockNumberNine Mon 19-Sep-11 19:49:28

If the TA is a HLTA then yes, absolutely fine.

scaevola Mon 19-Sep-11 19:52:44

Yes they can.

Here's a UNISON briefing note about cover supervision and extent of teaching by HLTAs.

Hulababy Mon 19-Sep-11 19:52:59

It depends on the level of the TA. Level 3 and 4 can cover lessons. How much depends again on their level, and what they can actaully do - teach or supervise - does too.

I am a senior TA, employed officially at level 3. I can cover PPA cover and first day sickness cover for my class teacher. FWIW I am alsoa qualified teacher, but regardless of this all our level 3 TAs do PPA/first day cover. This is within the permitted role of a senior TA.

Thinking11 Mon 19-Sep-11 19:58:09

Yes they can. Schools work incredibly hard and would not leave a class poorly supervised. All teachers recieve PPA time which is commenly covered by TA's. Why should this be a concern?

spanieleyes Mon 19-Sep-11 20:10:07

Yes, TA's can cover classes for short periods.
It can be very difficult ( not to say vey expensive!) to get a supply teracher in for just an afternoon, they would only be paid for 2 hours and many only do full days!
I also think that, certainly with younger children, a TA who knows the children well is a better bet than a supply teacher who doesn't.
I was out of my class this afternoon at a meeting and my excellent TA covered. I planned the afternoon to ensure that subjects she is happiest with were planned and re-jigged my weekly timetable because of this, so art and music because she is exceptional at both and I'm just good! I do the planning and leave very clear notes as well as discussing the activities and objectives with her. The Head pops in at regular intervals to ensure the children are on task ( although as I teach yr 5/6, they are very helpful when she is in charge!) and we will discuss the afternoon tomorrow.
I don't think this is really a reason for "all guns blazing"

dearheart Mon 19-Sep-11 20:18:06

My dd pointed at the school secretary the other day and said ' there's mrs x. she took our class yesterday afternoon when miss x was away.'

I was a bit surprised, but I think anyone with reasonable child-management skills could take the odd afternoon. If it happened regularly, I might be worried. But I would definitely be happy with dd's current TA taking the class - she is just fab.

IndigoBell Mon 19-Sep-11 20:49:15

It's very common to have a HLTA one afternoon or day a week while the teacher has their PPA time.

So get used to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now