Talk

Advanced search

Y1 son wants harder work. How do I convey this to teacher?

(3 Posts)
SamsungAndDelilah Mon 19-Sep-11 18:18:12

DS1 came home from school today and told me that he didn't want to go to school any more. I thought he was going to tell me that someone had pushed him or something like that, but he said it's because the work is too easy and he knows it all.

I believe him on this - he's finished the ORT level 9 books and is flying through chapter books at home, but has to sit on the carpet spelling words like "cat" and "has" and "gap". He says he always knows the phonics lesson already and it's boring, and he knows the words they practise. He says that they do number rockets with 3+3, but I know at home he can add two digit numbers in his head with no problem, and does multiplications for fun when he's in the car. It's a small school - he has only 9 others in his year, and he's already grouped with the Y2 for guided reading.

How can I convey my son's feelings (and now mine) to his teacher without coming across as pushy. The teacher is lovely, but from what DS1 says it doesn't seem as she is differentiating for him. At the parents evening in the summer, she told me he was secure with the numbers up to twenty: I almost fell off my chair, as he was that when he turned 3, and is now secure with counting numbers up to about ten thousand confused.

iggly2 Mon 19-Sep-11 19:43:47

can you coach him to say it is easy wink. As there are so few in the class hopefully she will spot it as well!

anthonytrollopesrevenge Mon 19-Sep-11 20:00:16

I've found there is a clear limit to differentiation at my DCs school. The teachers are quite happy to give work to DS which is a year ahead but never go beyond this. My DS is now yr 4 and it is easier as he gets older as he says he just does his own thing, no more circle time in the juniors. We have found the easiest way is to do fun maths at home, he is excited about cricket averages and bowling rates at the moment and I've widened it out to rates of all sorts of things. DS is only good at maths as well so it's just the one subject that's an issue, he is average for the rest which makes it much easier for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now