Talk

Advanced search

Great teaching techniques you have come across

(8 Posts)
GooseyLoosey Mon 19-Sep-11 11:18:34

Dd has real problems processing oral instructions. I was dreading this year at school.

So far, after a meeting with her teachers and the head, they have insituted the following:

1. dd is very reward driven and has has loads of smiley stickers on her reward chart.
2. she was very down about never being in the top group with her friends. They have said if she follows the work and finds it easy, she can choose to do the top group work if she wants to
3. They get the children in pairs to explain the teacher's instructions back to each other before they start a task, so all of them are on task.
4. dd can while away an entire lesson not getting what she should be doing and not focusing on it. She has her own egg timer. When it goes off, if she has done half the task, she just carries on. If she has not, the teacher or TA asks her if there is a problem.

Most of these things don't take up much of the teacher's time and I think they are inspired. It's so easy to criticise what the teachers don't do, I thought it would be nice to share some of the good things they are doing.

Have any of you come across any fab teaching techniques?

BorderBinLiner Mon 19-Sep-11 11:22:47

That's brilliant, can I come to your school please smile We use a timer at home with dreamy daughter but have no idea how school cope with her.

mamsnet Mon 19-Sep-11 11:55:59

What lovely teachers.. I too shall be watching!

GooseyLoosey Mon 19-Sep-11 12:43:04

They are lovely and it has surprised me.

Havent' any of the test of you been surprised by something fab a teacher has done?

LeoTheLateBloomer Mon 19-Sep-11 12:52:51

It makes me really sad that you are so surprised that your DD's teacher has put things in place to help her.

coccyx Mon 19-Sep-11 13:26:35

New teacher at my 9 year olds school. He said it was his job to teach them but knew that children could be shy and worry about putting hands up to ask for help. He has given them all small laminated pieces of card. each one represents traffic lights. They put the red one on table if they need help , amber if not sure , green think they are doing ok.
He told them he was slim because he spends a lot of time walking around classroom, looking for the symbols.

GooseyLoosey Mon 19-Sep-11 13:38:56

Leo - it wasn't that I was surprised that they wanted to help. I was surprised at how many good ideas they seem to have come up with in such a short space of time.

Like the idea of the laminated cards!

blackeyedsusan Mon 19-Sep-11 14:00:14

nicks ideas for when i go back to teaching and for dd who is capable but oh my goodness is never on task

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now