Talk

Advanced search

Not sure if I should speak to teacher about this?

(6 Posts)
muffinflop Sun 18-Sep-11 17:42:05

Or should I just accept that DS is no longer one of the brightest?! Sorry this might be long!

DS has just started year 2. When he started year 1 he was (apparently) a NC level of 1a in maths and literacy. His school report at Easter said he was 'exceeding expectations' in every subject and that they expected him to get 3's in his SATs this year. However, at the end of last year when his books came home I was shocked! His writing didn't look much improved from the beginning of year 1. His spelling had improved slightly but not as much as I thought and what he had written was rubbish. It was as if he had been writing to try and keep up with his thinking so it was messy and didn't really make sense.

With his maths he was doing his 2, 5 and 10 times tables at the beginning of year 1, number bonds to 100 etc. every time I went in to ask if he could have some more challenging work because he was getting lazy I was told he could, they agreed he should but nothing was ever done. I decided to leave it, do nothing much over summer and hope year 2 was better. He finished year 1 being able to do the majority of his times tables up to 12 but that was learnt at home! Schoolwise he didn't seem to move on at all.

Today he had to do some writing, something he'd done at the weekend. And I was gutted to see the level of his writing! Then he was asking me to write some sums for him so I wrote some number bonds up to 100 and he couldn't do them!

DH thinks I should go and ask his teachers what level he was on when he started year 1 and what level he's on now but I don't know if maybe DS has lost 'it' and is no longer bright. Is it possible to be good at maths and then suddenly forget everything? Should school have done more to keep him going? Or is it my fault for not doing anything academic over the holidays?

cheesesarnie Sun 18-Sep-11 17:55:01

go and speak to the teacher if you are concerned.maybe hes not being encouraged enough at school,he may be getting behind as hes not being

mrz Sun 18-Sep-11 18:14:44

I've inherited a class and many of my parents will be feeling like you when I tell them their child is not at the level the Y1 led them to believe. Speak to the Y2 teacher she will probably be relieved you have noticed too. It is always easier to work together.

clam Sun 18-Sep-11 18:23:04

You don't "lose" 'brightness.' But 6 weeks' holiday can take a while to claw back. But I agree, have a chat with the teacher and see what you can do together to get him back on track.

muffinflop Sun 18-Sep-11 18:46:04

Thanks for the replies. Will try and speak to the teacher this week and hope I don't come across as a panicked, pushy mother! If DS has just averaged out then that's fine, he's happy. But if there's that chance he's become lazy and disinterested I guess I want that dealt with before it has a huge impact on his learning

blackeyedsusan Sun 18-Sep-11 22:38:18

dd did not prrogress much in number work during her reception year, and some things went backwards because she was repeating stuff she already knew and was not demonstrating what she could do at home at school for whateverr reason. she hasn't evened out... she learnt an enormous amount during the summer holidays, mainly learning through play and playing on the computer so the brain is still working. it may have been that she was very tired at school.

I would be concerned. I would go in and talk to the teacherr and find out what he can do at school, what his attitude to work is, and what you can do to help him with the next steps at home. sometinmes just talking with the teache can motivate children to start working hard as they can not get away with coasting. (seen it wok spectacularly with one pupil!) if you go in with the attitude of cooperation you should get a positive rresponse. if not i would relly be concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now