Talk

Advanced search

red

(11 Posts)
loosinas Sun 18-Sep-11 11:27:51

is being on a red book band at this point in year one a cause for concern ?

icancancan Sun 18-Sep-11 11:55:36

hello Loosinas - i think there is still a large reading range ability - especially at the beginning of year one. They seem to still be assessing at this stage of the year. Have you spoken to the teacher and if so, what are they saying? Mrz or one of the others will hopefully be on soon to give you some more informed advice!

Hulababy Sun 18-Sep-11 12:00:57

I work in a Y1 class and we still have plenty of children reading red books. I find that often there is a big jump in y1 where reading suddenly clicks and they move on very quicky. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage so long as they are picking up the phonics sounds and starting to apply them.

In my current Y1 class we have children still learning their initial letter sounds or just starting to blend 2 and 3 letter words, to one or two able to read really well. The rest are all in the middle somewhere.

mrz Sun 18-Sep-11 13:26:20

There are lots of variables - how many terms in school - at what stage was phonics/reading instruction introduced - when did the child get their first book ... talk to the teacher if you are worried about progress.

loosinas Sun 18-Sep-11 14:53:46

they introduced sounds very slowly in the first term of reception then they had wordless picture books and then first books. added to which the books last year were songbirds phonics and totally decodable and this year hes getting rigby star and theyre not totally decodeable. i will try to speak to the teacher (hard as a working mum) but what can i do to help him at home ? im so worried.. his writing is poor also sad

Shanghaidiva Sun 18-Sep-11 15:06:12

I help with guided reading in year one and in a class of 17 we have 3 on sounds only, 12 on ORT level 1 or 2 or the equivalent in the Ginn series and 2 fluent readers - so a wide range. Does your son also have flashcards from school? You could make your own flashcards with cvc words (e.g dog, cat, mix, dig), get some more books from the library and read to him a lot at home. When reading a story ask him to read any words you know he can read - my ds used to love this.

mrz Sun 18-Sep-11 15:11:10

Rigby Star should be decodable if he has been taught the code.

From what you say it doesn't sound as if he has a solid phonic knowledge to support reading and writing perhaps due to lack of pace in reception. Keep practising his phonemes blending and segmenting words.

loosinas Sun 18-Sep-11 15:13:03

thanks so much mrz smile

IndigoBell Sun 18-Sep-11 15:56:39

If you're really worried do something like dancing bears with him at home.

It's a program designed to be done by a parent for 10 minutes every day, and it will teach him phonics properly.

coccyx Sun 18-Sep-11 17:42:49

My daughter is a July baby and has just gone into year 1 on 'red' level. I'm not concerned and neither is her teacher. Not a race and would rather she was confident in her reading.
we have joined 'reading eggs' as out here in middle east not much availability of extra materials/books. she loves it and always asking when is it egg time

Jezabelle Sun 18-Sep-11 21:53:36

My dd was on red and has just gone up to yellow (year 1). I thought she was doing well and her reception teacher said she was at the end of last year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now