Talk

Advanced search

Where's this sheet from - mrz i bet you'll know you are font of all knowledge (creeping hopefully will help)

(18 Posts)
Toodamnnosy Fri 16-Sep-11 22:05:23

My year 2 child has bought home a spelling sheet:

It is headed
Year 2 Term 1 SET Sheet 2 Learn, Write, Check.

The words are:

day, today, pay, way, away, play, played, clay, stay, holiday, pray, always.

Would anyone know which website this sheet was downloaded off please?

SE13Mummy Fri 16-Sep-11 22:59:49

Are you certain it's been downloaded from a website? It may have been copied and pasted from somewhere and then altered by the teacher.

The words are those that appear in one of the high frequency word lists/from Letters and Sounds (DfE document).

They also feature in Book 1, unit 1 of the Ruth Miskin Literacy Spelling programme (used when children have completed the phonics programme).

Runoutofideas Sat 17-Sep-11 07:53:40

My year 2 child had the same spellings this week but it was more to do with learning the "ay" and "ai" sounds. (She also had words like train, brain, tail etc). The sheet said that they would have a weekly quiz about the words, not only those but others containing the same sounds. I have a list of the sounds to be looked at in forthcoming weeks - I'm not sure if that is what you are after, or if schools all look at them in the same order...?

Toodamnnosy Sat 17-Sep-11 13:35:01

No I'm not certain it's been downloaded I know a lot of their sheets are so presumed it was.

I was just wonderingwhat words would be coming up.

HummusNKetchup Sat 17-Sep-11 13:43:23

ooh - we had the year one version of that.

it was has, gas, tap, gap, lap and a few more.

hocuspontas Sat 17-Sep-11 13:48:47

It just sounds like your dc's group were learning the 'ay' sound in phonics last week. Did everyone get the same?

Toodamnnosy Sat 17-Sep-11 13:51:22

No idea - there is only 10 in the class, so would presume so, but don't know.

I'm not worried where they are or their ability, I'm just curious, and have absolutely no patience so wondered what the rest of the year would have.

I presumed as it was headed Year 2 Term 1 Sheet 2 we would get Sheet 3-14 for the rest of the term.

Runoutofideas Sat 17-Sep-11 13:59:22

If next week is a_e words like "made, came, frame, crate" etc then your school's system is the same as ours. Dd1's class of 30 do not have differentiated spellings - I think it is more to ensure the phonic patterns are clearly understood by everyone, than learning the words themselves.

Toodamnnosy Sat 17-Sep-11 14:03:24

Thanks Runoutofideas, I'll let you know next week.

mrz Sat 17-Sep-11 14:12:54

It sounds like the Andrew Brodie resources but they aren't on line hmm

Toodamnnosy Sat 17-Sep-11 14:18:15

Oh how annoying - do you mean to say I have to be patient and see what each week brings?!?! grin

Iamseeingstars Sat 17-Sep-11 22:09:29

There are hundreds and hundreds of different/various lists with similar words so it is pointless trying to find what your particular school might use

The education websites have standard lists but many teachers use alternative resources

montymum Sat 17-Sep-11 22:23:27

Sounds like spelling for Literacy book- Andrew Brodie and Judy Richardson. It is available on Amazon if the anticipation of having to wait for each weeks spelling really is too much! smile
Although it could be that the teacher uses diffferent resources for different spellings.

mrz Sun 18-Sep-11 08:10:50

I will check my Andrew Brodie Spelling book tomorrow grin

caughtinanet Sun 18-Sep-11 08:57:48

If you google and don't mind trawling through the pages you can find schools who have the Andrew Brodie lists online. I can't do it as I'm posting from a phone but you probably will be able to find them somewhere.

caughtinanet Sun 18-Sep-11 08:57:48

If you google and don't mind trawling through the pages you can find schools who have the Andrew Brodie lists online. I can't do it as I'm posting from a phone but you probably will be able to find them somewhere.

spiderpig8 Sun 18-Sep-11 09:12:18

My Y2 had those spelling last week but 'playground' instead of 'clay'

bigTillyMint Sun 18-Sep-11 09:27:47

I think it's the same system my DC's primary school used. It worked well for my two!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now