Talk

Advanced search

DS 4.5 still can't write own name or recognise numbers and letters - normal?

(19 Posts)
AngryFeet Fri 16-Sep-11 18:06:56

DS just started reception and I noticed today that some girls were writing their own names which he still can't do. DD was able to do so at this age so I was just wondering if he is behind or if it is just a wide variety of ability at this age? He can count well and is very interesting in reading although he can't recognise letters yet.

Not being a pushy Mum just interested smile

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Fri 16-Sep-11 18:08:10

My dd1 couldn't do any of those things, she could recognise her name but that was about it. She's the best reader in her class now and fine at other things. So yes, it just depends

Bonsoir Fri 16-Sep-11 18:08:25

He's completely normal and please don't stress out!

40notTrendy Fri 16-Sep-11 18:08:47

Wouldn't worry. My ds could only just do his name. Depends on if you've done things with him, or a nursery/Pre-school. He'll do it in his own time. smile

AngryFeet Fri 16-Sep-11 18:15:46

Oh I am not stressing just wanted to check it was ok. I am well aware that they do things at their own speed smile He can recognise his own name. DD went to a different nursery which tried much harder to teach them things quite early on so she could write quite a while before she started school.

muffinflop Fri 16-Sep-11 20:53:51

Lots of children in DD's reception class still aren't writing their names. It's perfectly normal and they'll all be doing it by Easter I bet!

PatriciaHolm Fri 16-Sep-11 21:32:39

Normal! DS could just about write his (4 letter!) name, but couldn't read a jot. A year later he's not that much better grin but it's not unusual at all, honest!

blackeyedsusan Fri 16-Sep-11 22:02:11

trying to remember. most children could write their names when they came into reception but then they didn't come in until the term after they were 5 so he has 6 months plus yet! (and that is a lot at this age)

remembering christmas cards, about half the class wrote their names on the cards, but very few with the correct letter formation... dd did not write her name though!

TheMitfordsMaid Fri 16-Sep-11 22:10:17

My DS is 5 next month and won't write his name. He'll do the the first letter, numbers, will draw a bike (once) but he will not write his name, or anything else for that matter. I have no concerns about his intelligence, I am pretty sure that he is pretty bright but he has absolutely no inclination to write.

He has just started reception and I'm sure that he'll come around eventually. He uses lots of mathematical terms, has a wide vocab. It'll come.

There is such a wide variety at this age. I remember the whole "my baby was walking at 10 months thing" which seemed like such a big deal then but I can scarcely remember now when DS first walked. I'm sensing this might be the same sort of thing.

YougreatPamplemousse Fri 16-Sep-11 22:13:13

He is normal and fine. Just remember in many parts of the world he wouldn't be expected to be able to do these things for another 18months!

acsec Fri 16-Sep-11 22:17:48

I'm a Reception teacher and there are children who come into YrR able to write their names and there are those who leave YrR still unable to write their name. He'll do it in his own time, no need to worry grin

IndigoBell Sat 17-Sep-11 11:40:37

acsec - you don't worry when you have a kid leave Reception unable to write their own name?

Why don't you worry? Do you know how many of those kids are 'late bloomers', and how many of those kids actually have SEN?

Do you refer them to the SENCO?

piellabakewell Sat 17-Sep-11 11:47:15

I teach Y1 and this year all of mine can write their names...but with varying degrees of success! Some are mirrored, many have letter reversals, many have incorrect formation. One or two I struggle to read at all. The two worst are not just late bloomers, they are on the SEN register. And I didn't refer them to the SENCo, because I'm the SENCo.

MumblingRagDoll Sat 17-Sep-11 15:35:17

I am glad you askd this! I was trying to convince my friend that her just turned 4 DS wasn't behind! Nw I can tell her for sure! My DD couldn't write all the way through reception. Now she's 7 she;s like a machine!

seeker Sat 17-Sep-11 15:37:07

Perfectly normal in real life. However, several years behind on mumsnet!

acsec Sat 17-Sep-11 16:21:39

Indigo of course I refer the SEN children to the SENCo.

nickschick Sat 17-Sep-11 16:27:17

Hes not the only one.

Its a mixed bag of abilities in reception and year 1.....when a child is so young remember hes 4 and in those years hes had a heck of a lot to learn ...he cant learn everything all at once and so some things he learns before others.

My ds could read before he could write,my ds2 could do number skills before he could read in fact ds2 was 7 before he even learnt to read.

When we were younger we all 'learnt' the same way -by rote it wasnt actual learning it was memorising and repetition - nowadays children go at their own pace and although initially that pace seems slow trust me once it all slots in place you will be amazed.

anthonytrollopesrevenge Sat 17-Sep-11 17:33:16

My DD is now 5.3 and just started yr 1. At the end of reception she just got the hang of writing her 5 letter first name, it's barely legible but she had memorised the letters. She couldn't read at all and was avoiding books and letter sounds and anything to do with reading. In her case I think it was the reception teacher that somehow put her off. The teacher gets good results, she is well respected, she's nice and I got on well with her but my DD just didn't click with her. 3 weeks into the summer holiday DD picked up a book and wanted to read it. She is now sounding out words and confidently reading easy sentences and is extremely proud of herself. So yes, kids learn in steps it seems and not gradually and for all sorts of reasons. She likes her year 1 teacher thank goodness and is reading to her happily. Personally I preferred the year R teacher who was much more get-up-and-go, perhaps too much so for my shy and retiring DD.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 17-Sep-11 19:17:29

My son has just gone into year 1 and can't write his name. He was only five on 28th August though. I think it'll come in time.

His brother could read before he started reception. They're all different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now