Talk

Advanced search

How can I help dd with spellings??

(9 Posts)
scrappydappydoo Fri 16-Sep-11 17:08:04

DD1 (in yr 1) has arrived home today with a list of 10 spellings to learn and 'to be tested next Friday'.
EEEKKK - anyone got any fun ideas how I can help her learn them??
Also does this mean she get a formal spelling test??
This is all new to me! I'm already on edge with school as I got a letter home on the second day back with a list 14 words that dd had 'failed to learn in reception and needs to know to progress in year 1'

griffalo2 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:54:06

Ooooooo could you tell me what words they have given please.
Ds is away for few weeks due to having operation on Monday.teacher today said they having spelling test next week and I could do little test with him,but I didnt think at the time to ask for words.im just goin to choose some words for him,not sure how easy or hard to do them though.
Hes also in yr 1.
Sorry im no help to you,was just goin to post myself then saw yours

FriskyMare Fri 16-Sep-11 17:57:05

We use the LOOK/SAY/COVER/WRITE/CHECK method at school to practise spellings.
HTH smile

scrappydappydoo Fri 16-Sep-11 19:29:22

Thanks frisky...
Griffalo - stuck on sofa at moment so cba to go get list but they're looking at the sound combination 'ai' so half are 'ai' words like train, rain etc
The others are tricky words can't remember which ones though..
When I cba I'll go get list and put them on...

strictlovingmum Fri 16-Sep-11 19:39:10

This is what we got last Monday, and DD had first spelling test today:
This
They
I am
Shop
Ship
Clap
Shampoo
No
Shut
The
DD read them first, then I covered them, DD sounded them out aloud to me, and then I read them to her, while she was writing them down,HTHsmile, it worked she got all of them right.

griffalo2 Fri 16-Sep-11 19:51:56

Ok thank you.
I didnt realise they done spelling tests so soon.
Dont think ds will be able to do shampoo,may surprise me though

strictlovingmum Fri 16-Sep-11 19:55:59

Practice with her, sham first and then poo, make it funny, break the word in half, let her write it several times, and then put it together I am sure she will get it,good luck.

blackeyedsusan Fri 16-Sep-11 22:15:30

write the letters with a finger on the carpet, in sand, cornflour mix, flour, sugar, shaving foam, etc in an old baking tray.

write with large arm movements in the air.

squeak the letters as you write them, shout them, say them slowly, quickly.

use magnetic/foam/ letters on paper to play what is missing. particularly good if there are tricky letters like the n in went which is hard to hear. (child closes their eyes whilst you take a letter and they take a letter whilst you close your eyes... you then get it wrong and they are delighted that they are clever!

write the letters in coloured chalks/crayons/pencil crayons/ paint/ water onthe path outside/fence

make the words with stones on the beach/in the garden.

whatever you are using to make the letters, let them have a play with first, then do the spellings and more free play after as a reward.

look say cover write check too to see which ones they know/struggle with and need work.

reward them for effort.

Merrin Sat 17-Sep-11 14:24:47

Try different methods and tricks out becasue different approaches work for different children. The look/cover etc method didnt work for dd, we found that writing them out then talking through the meanings and different sounds in the words then testing her worked best. Others need something physical like painting the words or writing them in sand. Others seems to glance at them and they get them (never me!). Make it fun. If its seems a lot cut the list in half and only do a few at a time. Tricky ones we used to put on a post it note around the kitchen and opposide the loo so we didnt forget them. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now