Talk

Advanced search

Specific literacy question for KS2 teachers

(11 Posts)
newtermnewname Fri 16-Sep-11 16:12:07

Can anyone tell me what level/sub-level a child would be working at if their literacy target in writing was to regularly use words with an ly suffix as sentence openers? wouldn't want to pester DD's (lovely) teacher with such triviality but know that I may find the answer here. Thanks.

AbigailS Fri 16-Sep-11 16:45:13

I don't think you can define a sub level from a small step target like that. To assess children at a particular level we look at a range of achievements and targets. Your child could be hitting lots of higher level targets so by "best fit" be at that level, but be missing the sentence openers, or it may be the other way round and without a bigger picture of your child as a writer it would be impossible to give them a level. However, I set varied sentence openers as a secure / high level 2 target for some of the children in my writing groups.

mrz Fri 16-Sep-11 16:49:58

My Y2 class last year often started sentences with Silently, Quickly, Slowly, Finally... but they were still level 2/3 writers. It is difficult to accurately level work based on limited information and no knowledge of the child.

RupertTheBear Fri 16-Sep-11 16:54:31

Impossible to tell - I set that as a target for children I am trying to get to level 4, but equally could be a target for children on lower levels. Just ask the teacher - they really won't mind explaining. smile

newtermnewname Fri 16-Sep-11 17:09:14

I would feel like an obsessed parent if I asked. I'm just curious really.

hockeyforjockeys Fri 16-Sep-11 18:20:23

I give my children that target when they are aiming for a 4c (ie they are a secure 3 and need pushing on to writing at a level 4) - but children who are on lower levels may use that type of opener confidently.

newtermnewname Fri 16-Sep-11 18:41:44

hockeyforjockeys - think I'm misunderstanding you a wee bit, sorry!

the aiming for a 4c would make sense in my Dc's case - but the children "Who are onlower levels may use that type of opener confidently" has puzzled me a bit; does it mean that although they may use the ly words or whatever they may not write in paragraphs or use more complex punctuation?

I thought, and I am probably very wrong here!, that literacy skills would be taught as step 1 is this, child masters step 1 and moves onto step 2, child masters step 2 and moves on to step 3 and so on... It's probably not that clear-cut, is it?

mrz Fri 16-Sep-11 18:49:00

using ly sentence openers isn't enough to achieve a level 4 it is one small element

newtermnewname Fri 16-Sep-11 18:54:44

Yeah I get that Mrz. I know in the past you have helped a lot of people on here with links to NC requirements etc, me included, but I cannot open ANY file at the moment and it is driving me mad! In very succinct terms could you give me one or two further requirements for a 4 that I can look out for when DD tells me of her next target/s? Pretty please.

mrz Fri 16-Sep-11 19:06:49

I can write in different functional, personal and imaginative ways.
(e.g. letters –formal and informal, reports, diaries, dialogue).

^I can use some words to express feelings and emotions in personal writing.
I can use appropriate language in functional writing^.

^I can make writing lively and interesting. I can change the length of my
sentences^.

newtermnewname Fri 16-Sep-11 19:31:29

Thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now