Talk

Advanced search

Homework on computers at primary school...?

(8 Posts)
AnnaK Thu 15-Sep-11 14:58:09

I totally support the school in their vision to provide homework on computers, as the educational games can be far more fun that a white printed sheet of A4. When it was launched we were told that the work would be entirely confidential, only viewable by the teacher. Now, however, the teachers are setting work on forums (fora?) so that it can all be seen by everyone. My daughter is 5. I am not keen on her work being judged by other parents, because, let's be honest, no 5 year old is going to be doing this on their own. And therefore, what is the point? I do not want to encourage my child to use social media from such a young age. Am I being unreasonable...? Thanks

whenIgetto3 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:39:41

we had a similar homework last year my DS (lazy 7 year old) wrote on the forum "see I looked I can use a pc" grin I left it as he had done it totally on his own. His teacher told me that out of all the replies on the forum she suspected he was the only one who had done it on their own as the others were long drawn out comments with too much information for a 7 year old to have written. He got a star in his homework book for it, she didn't set any more homeworks like it she wanted them to do it themselves.

I think that as at a young age internet use should be monitored, then the school are actively encouraging parental input, my view is I have a degree, I went to school, I don't need to again, let my DCs do their own work so I don't think you are being unreasonable at all

AnnaK Thu 15-Sep-11 18:06:25

Thanks for that. The problem is that my ds, then 6, has been set this kind of work regularly and I complained to the teacher and the headteacher. Yet they still find this acceptable. I am considering a letter to the governors. In the meantime, I will boycott this homework and get my dd to type her homework, print it out and then hand it in.

whenIgetto3 Thu 15-Sep-11 18:27:09

you may also wish to point out in your letter that not all families have access to the internet, unless they go to a library/public place and by asking for homework time and again to do this they are making some families feel like homework is a family task not a childs

AnnaK Thu 15-Sep-11 19:52:05

Interesting point, but one they have covered as there is a 'homework club' available during the lunch hour! Also, it will be a 'statutory requirement for all children to have access to virtual learning by 2012' according to our school. It's not the homework, merely the encouragement of online chatting that I object to for a five year old (and ds, now 7). Too young imo.

messybessie Thu 15-Sep-11 22:02:53

I discussed this with the head when it was raised.

We have 2 computers in our house, both work laptops vital for our jobs. Whilst sometimes DS is allowed closely supervised access, I don't want him having free reign while he does homework.

But my main objection - they are 5. They need to learn to write. Soon enough computers will be their main method of communication but they need to learn to write by hand first.

I make DS wrote whenever the opportunity arises (shopping lists, birthday cards etc) so it seems madness to me that you would waste the opportunity of making them write out their homework.

But then I'm old fashioned like that.

AnnaK Fri 16-Sep-11 18:22:32

Yes, I agree they should write before thay can type, too! I spoke to my ds's teacher and her private opinion is they shouldn't be using the computer at this age anyway!!

mrz Fri 16-Sep-11 18:46:20

The previous government set schools a target of having a Virtual Learning Environment in place the reality of provision is very mixed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now