Talk

Advanced search

When does primary start ?

(19 Posts)
nokissymum Thu 15-Sep-11 13:01:17

i used to think children started school the YEAR they turn 5yrs. I know mine certanly did and depending on the area they either start in january or september, however my dsis says DN who is 4 next january is starting school next september (2012). Im really puzzled, shouldnt he be starting in 2013 ? Dsis says they start the TERM they turn 5! mine certainly didnt and we live in the same area.

newtermnewname Thu 15-Sep-11 13:03:30

DSIS is correct.

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-11 13:04:14

In the UK, they start the year after they turn 4. DD2 was 4 in August and started school two weeks later. Your DSis is correct.

Having said that, many schools do a second intake in Jan for the very toungest. The law says thay don't actually have to start school until the term before they turn 5 (so DD2 could have waited until Easter, not that her school did this).

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-11 13:05:29

toungest?? youngest!

EdithWeston Thu 15-Sep-11 13:09:08

They start the school year they turn 5, not calendar year. So if he's 4 on 1 September 2012, then that is the school year he would start reception. You can, of course, defer the actual start date until the beginning of the term after their 5th birthday.

nokissymum Thu 15-Sep-11 13:09:49

But cointreau if they start the year after they turn 4, how did your dd2 then start school 2 weeks later ?

nokissymum Thu 15-Sep-11 13:12:40

Also ds1 who is august child started school january of the year he turned 5, so how come he didnt start before ? Im really confused confused blush

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-11 13:17:10

To clarify, I'm talking school years (ie. 1st Sept - 31st Aug).

August 31st is the cut-off, so if they have turned 4 by that date, they start in the September.

EdithWeston Thu 15-Sep-11 13:17:52

The "qualifying" date is 1 September.

So a child who is 4 then can start in the autumn term (or be deferred, if the parents so wish).

There was a change in the rules recently, which meant that all 4 year olds could start in September. Before that, some schools/LAs did offer only January starts to those younger in the school year.

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-11 13:19:14

Also, as I've said before, some schools defer entry til January for the younger ones. If your DS1 had been at our school, he'd have started in the September before, having just turned 4 the month before.

Insomnia11 Thu 15-Sep-11 13:19:15

DD1 started school in January 2010, so in the academic year running from Sept 2009 - August 2010. She turned 5 in July 2010. The school use to have a January intake for those who would only be just 4 when they started if they had started in Sept, but now they all start in Sept.

DD2 will start school in September 2013, so the academic year running from Sep 2013 to August 2014. She will be 5 in Feb 2014.

I started school in September 1980 (!). I was 5 in September 1980. See? smile

nokissymum Thu 15-Sep-11 13:24:14

I think i get it now, finally!! It seems like somone said, theyve abolished the january intake, so now everyones starting in september, poor dn he is so small sad

nokissymum Thu 15-Sep-11 13:27:23

Thanks to all smile

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-11 13:30:14

I think it is particularly tough for the boys if they are only just 4; luckily DD2 is a girl (obviously!) and the youngest of three, so was a fairly mature 4yo when she started.

But a good school will give the littlies plenty of support.

prh47bridge Thu 15-Sep-11 16:03:31

No they haven't abolished the January intake but they have changed who decides.

Children are entitled to start school in the September following their 4th birthday. However, they do not have to start full time education until the start of term following their 5th birthday. Parents must apply as if their child is going to start school in September but, once they have a place, they can choose to defer entry until later in the year. So there is still a January intake if parents choose to defer entry until January.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 15-Sep-11 16:05:17

Dd2 was 4 in May and she started school two weeks ago. She is far too young, imo, but the school seem to think she is doing fine.

OriginalPoster Thu 15-Sep-11 16:13:49

It'll be fine, there are always a few late July/August little ones, the teachers are used to it. It's worth reminding the teacher periodically that they're so little.

mrz Thu 15-Sep-11 16:20:33

They haven't abolished the January intake. The government gave every parent the right to a full school year (which begins in September) if they want it.
Children must be in full time education the term after their fifth birthday but most parents opt for earlier.

nokissymum Thu 15-Sep-11 16:26:16

I"ll make sure dsis knows she can defer till january, he is just so small, but the cutest little boysmile i worry his mum may never find trousers for him, or P.E shorts, i couldnt get any the size of ds1 when he started sad

I think they should start school at 6 personally, 4 is way, way too young. (hmmph!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now