Talk

Advanced search

Should my daughter be allowed to play in the 'Big' playground with a broken arm

(6 Posts)
Sam1973 Wed 14-Sep-11 20:30:10

My 4 year old daughter broke her arm the week before she started primary school. She has been staying in at dinnertime playtime as they come out of their reception playground and play with all the other kids up to year 2.

She really wants to be allowed to play out at dinnertime, but i am scared a bigger kid might knock her over and break her arm again.

Am i being over protective? Should i let her?

The school has said it is ok if i give permission

jenniec79 Wed 14-Sep-11 20:32:47

Yes she'll be fine.

Wouldn't think of advising no playtime in a cast, regardless of the age group out there. you may well find the older ones look out for herwink

Contact sports is different

EdithWeston Wed 14-Sep-11 20:33:04

Good on the school. The risk is actually to the other children who might get whacked by the pot as she dashes past.

As you might guess - I'd give permission (and did myself when DS was in plaster).

Catsmamma Wed 14-Sep-11 20:34:57

What has the fracture clinic said? I know when dd broke her collarbone they were very strict, but obv that cannot be plastered.

I'd be guided by their advice.

dearheart Wed 14-Sep-11 20:37:00

I was worried about this, and made dd go to the indoor playtime club until the cast came off. I don't know whether that is overprotective or not - I just wanted to reduce the risk of accidents. Her arm healed fine. As did those of several other kids who were allowed out. One boy did have an accident while his arm was healing, which obviously has implications for longterm strength. Tricky one.

Sam1973 Wed 14-Sep-11 20:37:08

went to the hospital today and he said he thought it would be ok, just still wasnt sure as he was very off hand with me.

Thanks for the advice, think i am just going to have her do it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now